WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Choosing Email Service

LindaAbrahamLindaAbraham subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2009 in Marketing
We are looking for a service to handle our email
marketing and auto responders. We are considering AWeber,
Constant Contact, and iContact.

What has your experience been with any of the above?
Likes and dislikes? Strengths and weaknesses? Would you
recommend any?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    We are looking for a service to handle our email
    marketing and auto responders. We are considering AWeber,
    Constant Contact, and iContact.
    What has your experience been with any of the above?
    Likes and dislikes? Strengths and weaknesses? Would you
    recommend any?

Linda, you really can`t go wrong with any of those choices. They`re all outstanding companies. But my own personal experience with Constant Contact was very good, and I recommend them highly!

David Jackson
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    As an alternative, you might consider hosting mailing list manager. I just installed one for a web client. The script has opt out, newsletter, and other features like constant contact... but no monthly fees!

You just pay for the script, install it and go.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

~Roland
    vwebworld4/30/2009 9:07 PM
  • Options
    reillyjacobsreillyjacobs subscriber Posts: 0
    Linda,
    I will disclose I am an employee of VerticalResponse but I also happen to be one of the expert bloggers here on StartupNation. I write about all sorts of marketing topics, but frequently best practices and tips around email marketing. I just wanted to let you know that VerticalResponse offers a great service for email marketing that is competitive with the others mentioned on ease of use and superior deliverability. We have a special offer just for StartupNation members.
    I hope you will check us out and create a trial account to see for yourself. We are offering a free tial, plus 10% off pricing through the summer to get small businesses to stimulate their sales with email marketing this summer.
    http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing ... rtupnation
    Regards,
    Erin Jacobs- Director of Marketing at VerticalResponse
  • Options
    VerticalResponse offers a great service for email marketing that is competitive with the others mentioned.

Erin, I agree. I just completed an extensive survey of top e-mail marketing services, and Vertical Response rated extremely high, finishing in the top 5 among all competing services. Pretty impressive.

David Jackson
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for your replies.

Erin, I have heard good things about Vertical Response.
    However, I want something that integrates easily with
    UltraCart. According to UltraCart, the other services are
    integrate. Vertical Response isn`t mentioned.

Any comments?
  • Options
    David,

Thanks for your input. Are your survey results public or
    are they just for your clients.

Thanks,
    Linda
  • Options
    David,
    Thanks for your input. Are your survey results public or
    are they just for your clients.

You`re quite welcome, Linda! I will be releasing the results of my survey this summer when I launch my new website,  Reviews-by-Customers.com.  However, I realize you could use the information now. Therefore, if you PM me, I`ll give you the results of the survey.

All I ask is that you don`t rain on my parade by sharing the results with others before I launch my new website this summer.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson5/1/2009 1:58 PM
  • Options
    I`m not familiar with UltraCart, but we do have a robust API that you can leverage to integrate with most CRM, POS and applications that contain contact management elements.
    http://www.verticalresponse.com/partners/api/
    For more information!
    Thanks and I will look into UltraCart for our Business Development Team.
    Erin
  • Options
    gsamadgsamad subscriber Posts: 2 Member

As an alternative, you might consider hosting mailing list manager. I just installed one for a web client. The script has opt out, newsletter, and other features like constant contact... but no monthly fees! You just pay for the script, install it and go. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. ~Roland

What is the name of the script and does it run on Linux based hosting services?
    I`m current using PHPList, installed with Fantastico, and it`s ok, but it`s interface is a little hard to use and it doesn`t give me enough flexibility with combined HTML and text messages.
    Can anyone recommend any other software that I can host on my server and run myself?  I don`t want software that would send mail from my Windows desktop.
      Thanks,
      Gary
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I checked out a few (searching on mailing list). The one I selected is Mailing list manager pro:

http://www.mailing-manager.com/

It does work on Linux hosting (as that is what I provide).

I was considering another - but this one had a lot more features and more flexibility that met my client`s needs.

PS - They offer a discount price for non-profits.

~Roland
    vwebworld5/5/2009 2:28 PM
  • Options
    I just want to recommend that before you send your own email that you fully understand email delivery. The VerticalResponse training manager, along with the delivery team, have written a great post that explains what we (and other Email Service Providers) do to ensure our client emails are properly delivered and how we handle any complaints regarding your online reputation.
    It`s worth a quick read before deciding to manage it all yourself.
    http://tr.im/kyXV
    Erin