WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

looking for advice on process for database driven website

theducktheduck subscriber Posts: 1
Hello all
this is my first time on this site and the forum.  Found some quite useful posts while searching the forums but none that answer my specific questions.  So ...I`m about to start building a website which  will make me millions!!  ...yeah right!!  No the reality is I want to build a membership website, that is database driven.  The members will input data which will will then be available to other members, but will also allow space for future development of the site.  Obviously in an ideal world the end product won`t require me to be inputting the data myself.I`m  hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I have downloaded and installed Joomla and MAMP (still working out how to utilise both of these).  I use a MAC BOOK 10.5.  Experience wise I`m a novice, use to WYSIWYG programs and am a keen learner.I`m not really sure where to start:Do I need a separate website program as well as a database program? how do I get the webpage to interact with the database ?  Do I develop the Database totally separate to the website and then try and integrate them?A site I use and like the feel of is couchsurfing.com I`d like to be able in the long term to build a site which works as well as this.I`m on a limited income so am trying to keep this project to Open source if possible. I guess that`s it, any advice, pointers to other posts (which I`ve missed) or links will be gratefully received. Thanks  D

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

I`m about to start building a website which  will make me millions!!  ...yeah right!!  No the reality is I want to build a membership website, that is database driven.  The members will input data which will will then be available to other members, but will also allow space for future development of the site.  Obviously in an ideal world the end product won`t require me to be inputting the data myself.

Joomla can manage a lot of different applications, but in order to answer you we need to know exactly what "input data" is? Are they inputing answers to specific questions? Or  uploading documents?

I understand you might not want to broadcast that on the SUN forum, so if you prefer you can email or PM me.

~Roland

vwebworld4/16/2009 9:17 AM
  • theducktheduck subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Roland
    no great secret yet for the input data.  Ok, so I`m looking at: name, address etc, then the possibility to upload a photo or 2 (no more than that), comments, vote on a given set of criteria, Google map link, date.I think that covers all the basics.CheersDonald
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I want to build a membership website, that is database driven.  The members will input data which will will then be available to other members, but will also allow space for future development of the site.  
    I`m  hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  
       Try Interspire.  They`re the world`s leader in website publishing software. I`ve recommended several of my clients to Interspire, and they couldn`t be happier. And their support is second to none!  David Jackson 
    Thanks Roland
    no great secret yet for the input data.  Ok, so I`m looking at: name, address etc, then the possibility to upload a photo or 2 (no more than that), comments, vote on a given set of criteria, Google map link, date.I think that covers all the basics.CheersDonald  Hi Donald. I imagine there are already some scripts already available that can accomplish what you want.  While Dreamweaver is a good program for web site development, it will not provide specific solutions to meet your needs.  Interspire may be outside of your budget too? I`ll look around to see about an existing script that will work for you. ~Roland PS - "theDuck"... and your name is Donald - vwebworld4/16/2009 10:50 AM
    Thanks Roland
    yes `interspire` is outside my budget, I really on just finished my studies so like everyone else money is always tight.  `theduck` seem the obvious choice, especially for traveling in non English speaking countrys where I have to introduce my self as "donald ...as in DONALD DUCK".  They normally get it after that!donald

Here are a couple of options. Basically you need a searchable directory script that allows for reviews.

http://www.phpmydirectory.com/

http://www.cavescripts.com/business_directory_pro.php

There are more - just do a search for business directory script.

~Roland

HI Roland
    thanks for those leads/links.  Am now in Australia on an unexpected trip so will have a better look at both programs when I get back next week.  Many thanks for you help.
    best wishes
    donald
    Hi Heather
    thanks for suggestions and offer of help.   I`m now actually in Australia on an unexpected trip (always nice)  and will be back at my computer next week.  Perhaps I could contact you again once I`ve had a chance to take a look.
    best wishes
    donald