WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Web Design/Development Timeframe

Sting307Sting307 subscriber Posts: 1
Can anyone tell me how long it would take for either a freelancer or firm to design and develop a social network web site? It would have the basic social network features like user registration, friends, blogs, message boards, etc., and it would have to be able to handle millions of users.

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    No idea. To me, I think there are too many variables to know for sure right up front.
    I would think that just the absolute basic functions and design would be put into place and tested, then other features/functions added one at a time and tested as well. More than likely you would need many, many people to sign up and use it to find bugs and get feedback, as well as to see if it`s something they would even want to use.
    Also consider who is doing it, their experience, reliability, available manpower or ability to outsource if needed, etc.
    Just my opinion, to compete with the big boys, you will probably need something new that they don`t offer, or do what they do better, to get peoples attention and keep them around, and that alone may require a huge time investment as far as programming, usability and testing is concerned.
  • Sting307Sting307 subscriber Posts: 1
    Ning doesn`t work for my business model.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Without knowing your requirements -  the time to produce what you want depends upon what may need to be developed versus what is already available.

For example: to produce a website for a client I determine their current and future needs and look at what is available (already coded) and then what may need to be added.

I agree, that if you are talking about a social networking site - the ground work has already been done. I`m sure there are various scripts already available that can be the foundation for your site.

~Roland
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    if i were to guess i'd guess forever? a full army at google took lightyears to release google +. what makes you think a freelancer will do it in any less time?