WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Redesign critique

SERGIOSERGIO subscriber Posts: 16
edited November 2008 in Website Critique

I had my website redesigned a while back and thought it would be great to get some different opinions on my site.

businessassociatesonline.com

Some info about my venture

My website is the basis of my business it is completely online, no office building.

On my website I sell a direct mail service “Store Front Magazine” in Kansas I also offer a forum for Kansas business owners.

What I would like to learn about my website

Does it look professional?

Does it keep your attention for long period of time?

If you wanted to buy my service, was all the information you need on the website?

Does the sale pitch catch your attention and interest?

Comments

• Options
    Thank You Eric and Thank You Craig

font blurring? i don`t see anything like that on IE7 or Fire Fox 3

Your right Craig the domain name does not mention the main idea, I should put some text or picture to illustrate my services.

I don`t know why it doesn`t display the bullets properly on fire fox, but on IE7 it shows up normally.

I do need a better branding strategy 

anyone else have anything to comment on 
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Hi Sergio,

It would be a good idea to use one font or font family consistently throughout the web site rather than various fonts. Also, try to use the same paragraph formating, spacing and layout (left or justified - stay away from centered).

The left menu is lighter than other text on the site so it is less noticeable, I`d suggest using a black font.

As for the content - your home page should present you most important marketing message and direct the viewer to what to do next (with a link or links).

I appreciate the top banner placement, but that space is important website real estate and should either contain your marketing message or labeled as an "advertisement" or sponsor or partner, etc. so it is not confused with the purpose of your site.

Philosophy page - the chess image does not appear. Also, there should be a link to "you next move". So you answer your own question what`s your next move... tell the viewer what their next move should be.

I know you`ve gone through a lot to get to where you are with this site. Hopefully, things are ok now.

~Roland
  • Options
    Thanks for the critique Roland.

I have already made some changes & added some new pages

Thanks again for the critique guys

• Options
    When did you see that Craig?  It looks fine to me.....had me spooked for a second
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Looks fine here on Firefox 3.
    As to the blurry fonts, I see a problem with the white on blue nav buttons.  Try using a near white (240,240,240) or put a shadow under the text, or both.  Blue is a difficult text background.
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I think I may know what the "blurry text" refers to. It`s in the banner, "Web Site Design & Hosting." The drop shadow in contrast with the font color makes it appear blurred if you don`t look at it closely. With a casual glance, or out of the corner of your eye.
    To fix it, either lighten or get rid of the drop shadow, or you`ll need a different font color for the text in the banner ad. That`s the only possible place I can see where anything looks blurred at all. Everything else is pretty clear.

Craig... "my bad" I sent that banner to Sergio.

~Roland
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    The banner looks fine to me.  It`s the white text on the blue bars that I have a problem with.  Especially the striped blue bars.  I don`t know what font it is that my browser is using, but it isn`t Calibri Sans Serif.  (Because it isn`t installed on my computer).
    Also, the text on the bars is inconsistent.  Some bars are blue and some are gray.  Is there a reason for this?Videography11/16/2008 12:10 PM