WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

non disclosure agreement for website

yeukaiyeukai subscriber Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
ok, i have this idea for a website. but its not a very easy website to make on your own. so i got a webdesigner. do i have to get, a non disclosure agreement before i discuss my ideas. here is a link to a NDA i found online. do i just print it out and send it to her. it doesnt look like it needs editing. help!!!

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/14660/Web-S ... -Agreement

Comments

• MKyleCraigMKyleCraig subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi -
    Are you using the NDA to protect your design or your business model? There`s a big difference.
    An NDA tends to turn some people off, especially if it is a new relationship. I`ve always found that most people are more than willing to at least discuss the idea at a high level without an NDA.MKyleCraig7/9/2008 12:07 AM
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    A NDA is ok to use, however, I can think of two situations which could be troublesome:
    (1) What one person may think is proprietary may not be.
    (2) If the description of the proprietary information is very broad.

If the designer and you do or don`t end up working together and you find the designer has created a site for another party with what is defined as proprietary under # 1 or #2 above... under your NDA you would get damages + after a court proceeding. No one wants to go to court or even pay a lawyer to settle such a matter... expensive and if your proprietary info is not in fact proprietary or is defined so broadly as to include non-proprietary content only the lawyers are going to benefit.

I would hazard to say that any reputable web designer would (1) respect truly proprietary information (2) always keep discussions with clients and potential client confidential and (3) tell you if what you think is proprietary is not (if they have seen it another place).

~Roland
    vwebworld7/10/2008 8:29 PM