WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Pro’s and Con’s of my website

TTTTTTTTTTTTTT subscriber Posts: 3
edited July 2008 in Website Critique
Hello Fellow Entrepreneurs,

I`m having issues with attracting people to my website and when they do, we get very few orders.  We have received a lot of positive feedback when it comes to our product.  But, how can we expose are product to the masses. We are planning to ad more quality pictures to the site this weekend. We are very short on funds to put into the website, but as a startup we want the business to pay for itself. 

Can I get some Pro`s and Con`s of the website, feedback, solutions...whatever...we need help.   MyCakeys.com

Thanks! 

BTW - I have been ask what`s up with the TTTTTTT?  Well...My name starts with a T.  My wife...T.  And our five small children...TTTTT.  There you go.
TTTTTTT7/3/2008 2:02 PM

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Definitely, work on the images of your products.  The ones you have do not make your cakey`s appetizing.

In general, the site feels "home made" which unlike your product, is not necessarily a good thing.
    The light colored fonts are hard to read, the small fonts on your interior pages are very hard to ready (even with my reading glasses).

Having a "something.tripod.com" url also does not promote consumer confidence. It is better to have your site hosted so that the url is mycakeys.com. Also the names URL of each page should be related to the page content - not "id16.html"

IF the site is redone with appropriate url and pages name it will help your search results. As already mentioned, you need to determine what key words you want to target.

~Roland

vwebworld7/3/2008 3:45 PM
  • TTTTTTTTTTTTTT subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  Will apply them all.  I`m currently using Tripod Lyco as a host.  Do you recommend any other hosting services?  I have also noticed that Tripods web builder is pretty cheesy...any recommendations.

Thanks!
  • infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Well, TTTTTT, your site looks like it was designed in 1995.  It`s pretty bad. Pictures look like they were taken on an LG camera phone. Half of the time they`re out of focus.
    I suggest that you take a look at some web sites in your industry (for example, here http://commandshift3.com/tag/food ) - a lot of these look pretty contemporary. And see, maybe your site can enjoy some redesign and you`ll start getting more visits and sales.
    Do you recommend any other hosting services?  I have also noticed that Tripods web builder is pretty cheesy...any recommendations.
     Thanks!

Registering your own domain name will cost you about $7-9 per year. Hosting - about $60 a year. If you can afford that then get your own unique domain and a shared hosting account.
    As far as design - my recommendation is to hire a designer.
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

Get rid of the Iframes ..... they don`t do anything positive. Anything that you can put in an Iframe, you should have put in your page originally.
    You have very little that`s SEO beneficial, so good search results may be hard to get as is.
    Get a new layout, even if it`s a free template you can download to save your budget. You aren`t doing anything to show off your product or appeal to your visitors.
    #1 Get visitors
    #2 Sell your product/service
    #3 Gain visitor confidence in your business

Yes Jim, you can beat free.
    And I see a referral ID in the link... So I see your agenda here.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Your "About the Company" page is a real turnoff.  Mostly all of it.I don`t care if you`re broke and hungry.  I don`t care if all your other businesses and relationships have filed Chapter 11.  I really couldn`t care less if you think that your business is a divine inspiration.  In fact, everything you say about your business tells me that this enterprise won`t be around very long.Your About page is not supposed to be a personal confessional.  That you tried experimenting with family recipes and the kids experimented with different toppings is good detail.  Expand on that.  You don`t need to throw your christianity in the viewers face because it doesn`t tell me anything about your business or your product.
  • TTTTTTTTTTTTTT subscriber Posts: 3
    Great advice.  All taken in and digested.  I`ve started a new web design with Microsoft Live (much, much, much better).  I also bought a great domain name.  I will work on the About Us page today.  And a professional photographer friend will be taking pictures next week.  Hope to have the new and much improved website up and going by the end of the week.

All of you are greatly appreciated and your wisdom is greatly accepted.

Thanks!