WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Does our website make sense

DCCSCSDCCSCS subscriber Posts: 6
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
 www.denovopittsburgh.com
We have been working on our website for so long, we have become used to all the idiosyncrasies that it has.  My main questions are:
Does it make sense, and is it logical?
Is navigation easy?
How can we increase our search engine visibility?
Also, I just want feedback on what works and what doesn`t.  What else do we need?
Thanks in advance,DCCSCS5/30/2008 6:51 AM

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    RE: Search engines -
    Looking at what Google has for text cache for your home page:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ht ... en&strip=1

There is no content, only your menu items.

Also, you do not have meta tags for page description which is used by some search engines.
    You might add keyword meta tag - but that`s not used much.

Have you thought about what keywords/phrases you want to target?

The site is logical. And the concept - cutting out the admin. so the patient sees the Dr. is a good idea.

~Roland

• cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
    GO PENS, how awesome was game 3!
    Anyways, the site seems very logical and simple to use. Although I hate the brown but if that if your color scheme then go for it. Vwebworld is right, and I have the same content problems to. Start writing articles about what you do / techniques and use keywords your targeting in them. That will be a start and maybe your patients will learn what to expect beforehand.
    Best of luck.
  • DCCSCSDCCSCS subscriber Posts: 6
    Alright!  Game 4 was a heart breaker.
    The training studio is quite unique in chiropractic, and I don`t know of anyone in the area who is doing something similar.
    We definitely are working on getting some pictures on the site, especially the training studio, several of the doctors looking important, the reception area, and the treatment rooms.  We were also thinking of throwing one with the view from the training studio (we`re on the 27th floor).

We wanted the pricing to be visible and easy to find, but if it`s overbearing maybe we should take a look at it.

I don`t really understand the Google Text Cache thing, but we have identified a few keywords we want to focus on (chiropractor, chiropractic, downtown pittsburgh, training studio, personal trainer...), and we`ll try to work on the meta tags.

I didn`t realize that the colors look brown to folks.  It`s supposed to be a burgandyish color with the white. Maybe we should put some other colors on there to make it a little less vanilla?

Cubemonkey, I don`t understand the bit about writing articles about what we do.  What do we write them for, and where do we send/put them?

Craig, how can we make it so the pages load faster?  We have some weird syntax we were trying to get some keywords in the first part of the pages, but we`ll have to work on that so it`s a little more smooth.  We`ll get on the "return to services" link and the like.  The scheduler is something that we will incorporate into our site in the future, but have it as it is to try to save some cash early on.  Most people find it easy to use and we`ve gotten great feedback from people who use it though.  Do people not google to find local businesses?  That would be my first inclination, but maybe I`m an out lier.  We`ll work on the merchant circle and COC.  Thanks.

You have been big helps! keep it coming, and I`ll let you know when we have the updates done.

Thanks,

I have a chiropractor who`s also trying to build a better Web presence, so I was curious as to what you`re doing.

Yeah, as for that, I`m not sure.  I have been trying to do stuff that I learned on this site about making the site more noticible for search engines.  We want to be on the first page if someone is looking for a chiro in Pittsburgh.  I have joined several forums and tried to get ideas, and have been attempting to network with other health professionals to link our sites.  So far nothing has been exceptionally helpful (or easy), but we`ll keep trying new things and figure it out.  Sorry, no revelations here.

Since beginning the quest about 3 weeks ago, we have moved up several (about 6) pages in google, but I don`t know exactly why.
    DCCSCS6/2/2008 7:23 AM
    So, if we put some information that is not necessarily related to our practice, just health and chiropractic in general, that would help?  We have some informational brochures and packets, so maybe we`ll put a pdf version out there.  What can we do to speed up the loading time?  Sometimes it seems to lag a bit.
    got it.  We should put together some articles.  Is posting them as pdfs good enough as long as we provide a link with the relevant wording, or should we throw the full text on a page?
  • infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi,
    You said you worked on this site for "so long" - well, I am curious what your designer/developer was doing all of that time. The site is logical enough even though some things don`t seem to be logical, such as Google map on the home page - it takes a while to load and does not give much value for most of your users. Why don`t you put it under "Contacts" if you really think you need it.
    As far as design itself, there`s not much to say. I mean it`s one thing trying to be simple, which you have successfully achieved, and another thing is being aesthetically appealing - I think you miss on this one.
    And yes, someone else already mentioned your meta tags and search engine visibility - not a great job with that either.
    One thing I know for sure - you learned a lot about building a web site while doing it. That`s good.
    Infilta-
    I meant "so long" as in, "because we built the website and have been working on it, and understand what everything is suppose to mean and suppose to dot, we`ve lost the ability to look at it objectively."  Thanks for your feedback.  The site is quite vanilla, and we are going to try to sexy it up a little bit.  We have been thinking about changing the colors around a bit, and maybe doing something other than "medical white" for the background.
    If we put the map on a different page would that help the homepage load faster?  I wanted it on there as to add more keywords to the page, but I have since been informed that the words there don`t really count anyway.  We are going to be adding some pictures pretty soon of the space and the doctors.  What else can we do to make it more aesthetically appealing?
    And yes, we have learned a lot (you should have seen our initial attempt....)
  • austinluthersaustinluthers subscriber Posts: 0
    Website play the most important role in success of business because it provide the whole information of business to peoples through a website. You can also provide the easy navigation control in your website. With the help of SEO activities you will get the good visibility in search engine.