WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Have some website questions and would like some feedback

kjlltdkjlltd subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
I have my website www.RepellNet.com selling natural pest repellents and have some questions.

How do I check my code with this WC3 or whatever that is?
I know I have code errors but where can I find information on how to change these to proper code?
My site does not look well in FireFox. Where can I find info on how to fix this?
Like many others I receive many visitors but VERY little sales. Any suggestions on how to make my site more buyer friendly?
I have purchased other domain names as: NATURALPESTSOLUTIONSONLINE.COM, NATURALPESTSOLUTIONSSTORE.COM, THENATURALPESTSOLUTIONS.COM, any feedback as to which name including my present domain name people prefer?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    1. http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/
    2. The wc3 validation will provide some guidance.
    3. It seems that the hover styles are a problem with FF. You could check the CSS for the site.
    4. You are using a standard ecommerce program. (cubecart), which functionally is fine. You might change the menus on the left so that the "information" menu is below the "category" menu. Also, you could think about a different layout...featuring your products more and/or the benefits of "natural" products.
    5. Which domain - think about the keywords you want to target. If "natural pest solutions" are your targeted keywords, then use any or all of them.  If "repel" is your target, then use that one.

One problem, when I click on the logo (top left) or header image, I get and error.

~Roland
  • Options
    kjlltdkjlltd subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for your feedback.
  • Options
    outsourcehighwayoutsourcehighway subscriber Posts: 0
    1-3: If you have not fixed these yet, I suggest you ask a web development expert. It would not cost more than $50 if you outsourced that task.
    4: Many visitors and few sales? Your problem might be non-targeted advertising. You might want to try SEO. Again, by outsourcing, you would not spend that much.
    5: www.outsourcehighway.comIt is a reverse auction-type site, so you could possibly get your stuff done for the least price.  
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    If I remember right, the average ratio of visitors that purchase is @ 1-2%, so compare that to your numbers.
  • Options
    infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Hi kjlltd,
    1) I wouldn`t worry about it if I were you. Google, Amazon, Ebay, Buy.com don`t have valid code and they are doing alright.
    2) Let a good web designer take a look at your code.
    3) Same as 2
    4) Low conversion may mean a few different things. Maybe a lot of your visitors are not exactly your target audience. Maybe they can purchase same products on other sites with better selection, better price, terms, cheaper shipping or better looking site etc. Without doing research it`s hard to tell why exactly do you experience this problem.
    5) RepellNet sounds more like a brand name then other domain names, which are at the other hand might be more SEO-friendly for your product. I personally would go with something that is more of a brand name like. Imagine if you later on open an off-line store. RepellNet would sound better (even though it has "net" in the name which gives the name web connotation) then Naturalsolutionsstore, which sounds just too generic.