WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

My neck is out. Start Chopping.

JustJohnJustJohn subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Website Critique

I would also like my site picked apart. Any in put would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

John

www.aboutgarages.com

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The file size of your images/photos is way too large. This can delay the loading of your site and turn people away.

For example the image on the home page is over 2million bytes
    vwebworld1/29/2008 1:48 PM
  • JustJohnJustJohn subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks
    I just reduced it to 180K.
    John
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    As Roland said, recheck all of your image sizes; your DIY page takes forever to load on DSL.I think you provide a lot of good content, but your layout isn`t overly appealing; it doesn`t catch your eye or stand out to be memorable for what you`re selling. To me, it almost seems too soft of a look for the product, if that makes sense. Garages and their contents kind of bring to mind "manly", "mechanical" stuff, but it doesn`t really reflect that here. Just my opinion, and not trying to be stereotypical or anything.You have some dead links / non-existant pages. You need unique page titles and descriptions for every page. You have a huge amount of javascript in your pages that should be imported if possible from a separate page.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I don`t like the full-page text.  Also, the font is too large, burgundy over pink is a strange choice of colors.  There`s nothing on the home page that compels me to look further into the site.
    Your text is far too passive.  Never say "if you want...".  Assume the sale is a done deal and start closing: "Buy your quality cabinets here and now."  The only time you should use "if" is when you are offering payment options.
    Just a personal gripe, but I think that the rollover big images to be unprofessional.  I much prefer a simple "click here for a larger image" button.
    As a photographer, your images aren`t showing your product at their best.  They are not well staged and show as much mess in the garage as they do the cabinets.
    Somehow, I keep getting back to those colors.  Yuk. 
    Finally, what makes your cabinets any different from what I can buy at Ikea or Home Depot??  in other words, why should I buy from you? 
  • JustJohnJustJohn subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow
    Good feedback. Keep it coming. I see I need to rethink a bunch of stuff.
    Thanks.
    John
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40

ThanksI just reduced it to 180K.John  180K is still too big.  Try to keep image file size below 60K.That should not be a problem for an image twith the dimensions of the one on your home page. Check your menu links - accessories link url is incorrect. You might compare your site to the other top sites for garage cabinets:  ~Rolandvwebworld1/29/2008 8:01 PM
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    John, I echo what everyone else is saying about you site. The layout is very unappealing. In fact, I think that you should start from scratch and build a whole new site. Your current site leaves a lot to be desired.

Dale King
    DKing1/30/2008 10:57 AM
  • MrbusinessMrbusiness subscriber Posts: 8
    Ia agree the page needs to be re sized.  IF you are selling something.  You need to let the user know. I didn`t really understand what the pages was for about 30 seconds.  Which is a long time as a surfer