WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is Being On The First Page Of Search Engines Important?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
If you`re one of those individuals who discounts the importance of search engine optimization, you might want to rethink your position. Here`s why:
A study of search user behavior in 2006 released by iProspect shows that 62% of search engine users selected a website from the first page of results. 28% of searchers clicked on results found on the second and third pages.
Those numbers are pretty compelling. Your thoughts?
Dale King

Comments

• bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    The answer to the topic title question is YES.  If it were NO there would not be so much fuss about fighting for it.  What make me mad is all the PPC - click fraud search engines that are stealing those positions!  That is just wrong and the legitimate search engines should do something about it.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    For Google - There is a way to get to the TOP of Google`s search results... almost regardless of your SEO.
    Google`s "product search results" is always displayed  above the normal search results (and below the sponsored search results).
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-8-8 15:32:53
    Roland,  I agree with your first statement but not the second one.  For example if you search Google using the keywords "internet retailer software" the first few non-paid listings include About.com, apparelsearch.com and yahoo.com.  These are all search services and not products.  This is not the best example but it better shows what I am talking about.  I have seen it where you have to go one to two page deep in search engine results to find an actual web site and not another search engine.  I have also found many of these search engines are in the business of click fraud.bert2007-8-8 16:8:35
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Bert, I hate it when that happens.  It`s to the point now where, as a consumer, if I`m actually looking to buy something, I`ll often go right to the sponsored links rather than the organic search results.  (And while I dont know, I doubt I`m the only person who does this.  I`m guessing that`s part of what makes PPC advertising work.)
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Roland,  I agree with your first statement but not the second one.  For example if you search Google using the keywords "internet retailer software" the first few non-paid listings include About.com, apparelsearch.com and yahoo.com.  These are all search services and not products.  This is not the best example but it better shows what I am talking about.  I have seen it where you have to go one to two page deep in search engine results to find an actual web site and not another search engine.  I have also found many of these search engines are in the business of click fraud.
    The likely problem with your example...why google products search does not appear is because there isn`t a product named "internet retailer software".
    Search on "taylor made driver" = no product search result. But search on "taylormade 580" yields a product search result.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-8-8 22:33:28
    Roland, I do agree with what you are saying but if you look at the lists of the most used keywords in general, or within an industry, most searches are done by what people are looking for and not by a specific product name.  This brings on the hordes of second level search services in organic results.  These services even get better placement because they naturally hit all the crawler hot buttons.  This has not always been the case in such a large volume but the money involve has now stimulated a major growth in this area.
  • Victor363Victor363 subscriber Posts: 2
    I have heard several marketers claim - after crunching their different ROI`s at second and first position - that the most profitable placement for your campaign is to have the second listing.Honestly, I`m sure that this is true more often than not; but, I cannot accept it as fact. I guess it is business dependant.On the other hand, I have seen other studies saying saying that if you aren`t on the first page - you will get only a tiny sliver of traffic. This I believe.
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9
    What is WebCEO?
    Victor, it one of the easiest to use Search Engine Submission (SES) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) packages available ... and its FREE !!
    http://www.webceo.com/index.htm</A>
    Sounds like a tool of convenience; and I can see how it could really make a difference for someone starting out in the field - whom needs those resources bundled up instead of individually finding them online..  I`m actually fairly impressed - 9 times out of 10, programs with that M.O. are more scam than anything else.... To bring WebCEO`s keyword tool (the most crucial part of the package) into perspective, I recommend using this keyword tracker as a counter weight.
  • bluebonbonbluebonbon subscriber Posts: 0
    Yes it is but is fairly easy to keyword your website to get better rankings. The other important factor I have found is to have the right content, including good links to other sites that have high traffic that are useful to your target client base. Example: I have a pet grooming business and many people ask me about pet training, which I don`t do. I put a link in to a very well known dog trainer website and saw my rating raise from the second page(about 8-10 placement) to 1 or 2 spot in my chosen key word group which is mobile pet groomer. I also have as my domain name all key words instead of my business name. Pictures are not as important as correct use of keywords.
  • Ziyapathan0143Ziyapathan0143 subscriber Posts: 150 Silver Level Member
    Search engines are the work steeds of the internet, returning billions of reactions to billions of inquiries consistently, with the significant web crawlers being Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    1.Your ranking on the first page matters. While being on the first page usually means you are in the Top 10, it is still crucial to become #1. Being #1 gets you an average share of 32.5% of the traffic, and #2 is just 17.6% and #3 at 11.4%. And while you may be on the first page, but if you are #10 you only get a paltry 2.4%.While that may be better than the 1% share of the traffic you receive at #11 (which is on page 2, after all), that’s still not saying much.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Yes it can improve your visibility of the website.