WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Differentiating domain name registrars

olegoleg subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
The other day, I registered a domain name with Verio.  The only reason I chose Verio was because I already had another domain registered with them.  Why I chose them for that domain to begin with, well I really don`t remember anymore.
My question is, does it matter who you register with?  Is it just a matter of getting the best deal? (It seems like the prices for registering a domain are similar across the board...)  Are there any other factors to consider?  Any companies you`d recomend, or any others to stay away from?

Comments

• Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    It does not matter who you use to register the domain... a registration is a registration.
    So, it comes down to price and service... what value do you get from the price you pay.
    I use GoDaddy (I`m an affiliate)... good price and have had no problems with their domain service.
    ~Roland
  • Options
    RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    There have been a number of cases of registrars going out of business or holding recently expired domain names for ransom when it should be easy to return them. The whole industry is in need of a good clean out to remove the bad apples. Personally I can recommend Planet Domain (who I`ve used for years) and GoDaddy (who I recently started using).
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The key is to always make yourself the admin contact for any domain you purchase. That way you control the domain  - can make changes such as pointing the domain name servers to another web host.
  • Options
    domminosdomminos subscriber Posts: 0
    The domain name is very important for any business and it should be easy to remember without much punctuations.Then only people will remember it easily and you will get a good traffic.In choosing the registrar also one should be very careful.The registrar should be reliable and provide services at affordable cost.I chose 9cubehosting.com since the cost is low when I get the domain registration and hosting as a package from them.I have no regrets in choosing them.