WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

eCommerce resources

vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
A website is an important part of doing business and if you only do business online, it`s certainly a critical part.
How to improve my search results? What keywords to target? To what directories should I submit my website? What is my website lacking? Are some of the questions commonly asked by people planning a site or seeking to improve their conversion results.
The web is a vast resource of information ranging from reliable to outdated. To help you improve your site I`ve compiled some website resources. These include webmaster tools, keyword tools, a list of SEO friendly directories, and sites that can tell you what people have been searching for at Google, AOL, MSN, Yahoo...etc.
~Roland

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Basically, a directory is a list of websites. Usually the list is sorted / indexed by topic or category so the viewer can find a website related to a topic. It is similar the SUN`s "marketplace"... where you have various categories and websites listed in each category.
    Most directories display a link to the website (using the domain name -URL of the site or a keyword link) and a short description of the site. This information is provided by the website owner when they submit their site to the directory.
    When submitting your site to a directory you want to use your targeted keywords - in the link (if allowed) and the site description. CAUTION: It is important they you ONLY submit your site to SEO friendly directories and avoid "link farms". The ecommerce link I provided goes to a source of SEO friendly directories.
    The importance of submitting to directories - they provide "backlinks" to your website...which help elevate your site`s popularity and visits from search engine bots.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-5-12 7:33:59
  • CreditMogulCreditMogul subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the links Roland, I`m going to go check them out right now.

Thanks also to Craig for referring me to this post.

Josh
  • swguyswguy subscriber Posts: 1
    Perhaps the most important directory on the Internet is "The Open Directory"  http://www.dmoz.org/.  This was a seminal project which started prior to the existence of search engines, when directories were very important.  Check it out!Scott