WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help with Trademarks, Confusing Similarity...

rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
edited April 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
If I understand registered trademarks correctly, the confusingly similar test only holds up if you are within the same industry.  Can anyone confirm this for me?We`ve come up with a tagline that turns out is indeed similar to another companies registered trademark, however, they are in a completely different industry.  Does the trademark hold up?Thanks!R-

Comments

• pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Generally this test applies for marks within the same product or service class, however there are exceptions.  Trademark dilution can occur even amongst different classes if a trademark has achieved "famous" status.   I recommend you work with a trademark attorney to advise you on the specifics of your situation.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    If the industries are completely different then it should not be a problem.  (nobody looking at Delta Faucets in The Home Depot thinks they are supporting their friendly neighborhood airline)
  • pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Leslie,This is not always the case, especially in the case of trademark dilution.  Trademark dilution is a federal law forbidding the use of a famous trademark in a way that
    would lessen its uniqueness. In most cases, trademark dilution involves
    an unauthorized use of another`s trademark on products that do not
    compete with, and have little connection with, those of the trademark
    owner. For example, a famous trademark used by one company to refer to cameras, might be diluted if another company began using a similar mark to refer to pencils.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    True true, I just didn`t want Ross to be discouraged by the use of a similar tag line registered by a company in a completely different industry.  CERTAINLY look to your Trademark attny. for answers, but don`t abandon ship until you know for sure, as it is a very real possibility you will be fine. (as long as your tag line isn`t "Technical Illustration... you can do it, we can help!"  Sorry for the confusion   PepperLegal would know
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Thanks to both of you!  I`m definitely not discouraged, the short answer is really "better safe than sorry!"We`re not really so interested in this particular tag that we`re going to spend money to research it.  It was just something we came with on a whim for an ad placement.  Think I`ll just keep the general idea and see if it can`t be written differently!Thanks again!R-
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    you can be in different industries and still infringe.