WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hosting a cross-promotional event and need marketing ideas

SuzanneBSuzanneB subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2006 in Marketing
Our organization is hosting an event called "The Taste of Downtown Manchester" which is a cross-promotional event between restaurants and retailers.  I need ideas to give to my businesses that they could use the night of the event to make an impression on the people who come to the event (about 1000).  Since there are 25 restaurants and only 3 hours, food won`t be enough to capture people`s attention to make them remember the restaurant.  And since people are most concerned with the food, the retailer really needs to do something special to capture people`s attention while they have them in their store for a few brief minutes.  Any ideas?  I`m looking for something beyond coupons and gift certificates...quirky, memorable and valuable are three words that come to mind.  Thank you!!!

Comments

• SuzanneBSuzanneB subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Bianca!  I called the liquor commission and will will finally be able to have alcohol at the event this year! 
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    SuzanneB
    If I had a restuarant or shop participating in this event, I would forget a giveaway/free gift that evening. These type of events are usually very hectic. We do something like this in ATL and I attend often.
    I would do everything I could to make sure everyone who came into my restuarant or shop (or maybe this is a booth event - not sure) saw my BIG poster promoting my FREE giveaway. To enter, they must fill out the entry card with contact info including email address. My goal would be to capture every person`s email that visited my shop. I would give away as many dinners and merchandise I could afford - more than one - maybe five or so. The price of these meals or items is well worth the database of names to market to later.
    After the event, I would use this list as my seed to start marketing to these people and their friends. Keep them informed of specials, events, wine-tastings, promos, one day sales, evening sales, whatever. This list is your "disciple" list with the goal of them spreading the "gospel" of this shop or restuarant - word-of-mouth advertising - the best there is.
    R@
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5

My goal would be to capture every person`s email that visited my shop...
    ...After the event, I would use this list as my seed to start marketing to these people and their friends. Keep them informed of specials, events, wine-tastings, promos, one day sales, evening sales, whatever. This list is your "disciple" list with the goal of them spreading the "gospel" of this shop or restuarant - word-of-mouth advertising - the best there is.Keycon - I agree totally, this is exactly what I would do as well.  There`s not much time during one of these to really make an impression, but this is a permission-based list you can generate and then, within two days of the event make sure to send out an email.  At the very least send out a, "Thank you for visiting our booth, we hope to see you at the restaurant soon.  In fact if you`ll visit us this weekend just tell your server you received this email and well give you a buy one get one free entree..."Good luck!R-
  • SethSeth subscriber Posts: 2
    SuzanneB,
    I have a few questions. Is this an event where people get to taste food from the area`s restaurnats for free? Do people actually sit down to eat or will they be standing and easting finger food samples?
    Secondly, are you trying to get people to remember those restaurants they are sampling from or do you want to help promote the retail stores near the restaurants?
    Sorry to drill you but the more information we get the more ideas we`ll have - at least in theory!    

• MonicaGMonicaG subscriber Posts: 2
    Goody Bags! Maybe imprinted with your logo on the front, freebes from local business inside, maybe a guide to the restaurants inside as well, cool maps of downtown. Just my thoughts! Good Luck!
    Thanks,
    Monica
  • admanadman subscriber Posts: 3
    how about insurance games giving away the opportunity to win a big ticket item like a car, or $1,000,000 or a boat.  usually the cost is very minimal based on the odds of winning.
    see www.ahno.com</A>

Thanks for the great ideas!
    This event is cross-promtional meaning the restaurants serve food out of a retail location.  Most people are standing will in the store unless the store has a couch or chairs.  They walk from location to location.  25 stores total. 

Secondly, are you trying to get people to remember those restaurants they are sampling from or do you want to help promote the retail stores near the restaurants?

I don`t mind the drills...we are trying to get the public to remember both.  Lots of places to see in one night and not much time to make an impression.

Goody Bags! Maybe imprinted with your logo on the front, freebes from local business inside, maybe a guide to the restaurants inside as well, cool maps of downtown. Just my thoughts! Good Luck!
    Thanks,
    Monica

Thanks Monica...I will recommend our merchants do just that!

What about an individual restaurant doing a future `invitation only` event with invites being available only that evening?  Several well designed posters to grab attention, along with `formal` invitations for attendees could allow an establishment to utilize your `hectic` event to develop a more intimate promotional atmosphere at a future wine tasting, chef`s premiere, or charity dinner.  Of course, you wouldn`t want all of your participants to utilize this tactic, but it could be a useful strategy for one or two establishments.  This could also be used by a retail outfit to market a new line or a fall product showing.  Maybe you could even team up a retail establishment and a restaurant for this sort of bring `em back promotion.  Best of Luck!
    Tracy

Great idea...can anyone recommend any good books that I should pick up that are specifically geared to events?  I have seen a bunch in the bookstores but know nothing about them...
  • SethSeth subscriber Posts: 2
    Suzanne,
    You want quirky, memorable and valuable. Here are a few ideas:
    1) VALUABLE - For a client of mine who had a booth at the "Taste of Bethesda" Food and Wine event I ordered little food trays with a built-in wine cup holder. Someone walking around the event can easily hold the finger foods and wine in one hand. My customer`s logo and website were printed under the plastic tray so the logo was always in clear view. It not only looked amazing but over 800 people lined up and registered to get one. Low cost and high value! You can do the same and have the event  logo and website printed with copy saying "Log on and enter to win a Dinner for Four" printed on them. The website would have all the participating stores and restaurants along with their information.
    2)  QUIRKY - Each retailer can hand out a checkoff list (with a perforated post card attached) of all the participating retailers and the restaurants serving food. Next to the names of each you can have boxes that rate the taste, creativity, and presentation for each restaurant`s food. The person is encouraged to mail in their favorite restaurant by simply detaching the self-addressed postcard, filling out their email, and requesting to be sent weekly coupons and events from the retailers & restaurants (all permission based).
    3) MEMORABLE - Please do not rate me for this one. You can get custom lables made and put on packs of antacids! The copy can be fun, something like,  "I did it! 25 Restaurants in 3 hours!" Make sure to have a logo, website and list of all the stores on the lable. It would be a great PR tool as well.
    Now that you have got a taste of many SUN member`s ideas - get to it!