WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Startup Hiring Seasoned Professional

WRBishopWRBishop subscriber Posts: 1
I am starting my 4th venture and looking to hire a Regional Sales Manager who would manage 8 independent sales reps for this territory. Because I am a startup I am curious what it is going to take to convince a seasoned professional, five to nine years experience, to drop what he is doing and jump on my team.
What is the best site to post a job opening for this type of individual. Should I try and pluck someone from a like business is my area?
This is going to be a very complex job so I cannot just open the door to anyone and hope for the best. I must find an acceptable candidate. Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• SandyPISandyPI subscriber Posts: 8
    Where are you located?

Sandy
  • 05mustang05mustang subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I think your ability to attract a seasoned professional will depend heavily on what`s unique or attractive about your business model/products.

If you`re in a hot area and your business has real potential you should make out okay with hiring in just about any area.
  • SandyPISandyPI subscriber Posts: 8
    I would look for retired or semi retired people. 
    Sandy
  • WRBishopWRBishop subscriber Posts: 1

Your best bet would not be to pluck someone out of a competitor`s shop. What I usually suggest (and did in a previous career) is to find out who the top sales people are at your competitors and then call them - to ask if they know of anyone in their circle of friends that would be interested in your position. This way you aren`t really trying to recruit them out of the competition, but you are letting them know that there is a position available. Most top sales people like to network with other top sales people so they are the best resource for great talent. And if they aren`t happy in their current position, they will let you know.
     Good luck!

I think this is exactly what I will be doing. I have already spoken to a few that hit me up all the time with my last business but they are not coming right out and saying they would be interested in speaking with me. I think one or two will at least sit down with me in the coming weeks.
    Thank you for your response!
  • WRBishopWRBishop subscriber Posts: 1

I would look for retired or semi retired people.  Sandy
    I am not sure this is the right type of person I should be looking for. To me a semi-retired or retired person is up in age and probably out of the business for a reason. I think am in need of a younger energetic person who has plenty of drive left.
    Thank you for your response!