WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Content - Is Less really more?

EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
edited February 2008 in Business Planning
So i`m currently in the process of developing a website for a home-based event planning company (EdgEvent Designs) specializing in corporate events and promotions (its not online yet so i can`t really show it to you). I want the website to look sleek, sophisticated and cutting edge to sort of give the feel that my company is a bit larger and more professional than it actually is (it`s really just me working from a home office at the moment). At the moment i`m designing a simple website by myself, but hope to revamp it to look more professional once i have some more funding.
I started to write some content which i felt was pretty straight forward and simple. A small blurb about the company (basically the same description if gave for my company in the SuN Marketplace), a section about "Our Philosophy" and why the company is different and sometimes better than larger event planning companies, a page listing some of the services I offer and testimonials, a page describing the staff experience (me and some vendors) and a contact info page.  Each section has about the same amount of writing as this post or less. When i showed it to a friend, the first thing she said was "it`s too wordy"  and that no one will want to read it.
Now maybe it`s just her not liking to read but I started to wonder if less was maybe more in this case and was hoping i could get some more professional opinions. My company is almost completely based in the ideas and design based on the first meeting with a client, not in selling specific products or services through the web. While i list certain services as examples on the website, i will basically tailor each project for the client at the first meeting. The website is really just a lure or advertisement to get people to call me so we can discuss the events in person or on the phone.  There are so many event planning companies out there, I want mine to stand out in some way. Would i be better off making some expensive flash site to start that says very little about us but is nice to look at? Or is it important to list on the website the reason my company is different from others? In other words, Is the visual aesthetic (more pics, flash and less words) more important to appeal to clients than having content?
Any advice you can offer would be great.EdgEvent1/31/2008 1:40 PM

Comments

• Options
    advernationadvernation subscriber Posts: 3
    Ill give you a tip when using meta tags and for key words you don`t need a huge list in the metatags just write the misspelled search words and it will help big time example: you are a car dealer keywords should be cra dealer , car dealre etc

Chris Maddaloni is an Internet Marketing Consultant for http://www.advernation.com a New York City based Internet Marketing Company serving businesses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, Long Island and Westchester. He has helped websites with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) getting them exposure on the first page of top search engines using organic methods. He has a blog at http://www.advernation.wordpress.com and http://www.advernation.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RosannaTusseyRosannaTussey subscriber Posts: 4
    I think this is what is important when it comes to website content. And Nikole is right- you have to look at this through the eyes of your prospects. It should:

Be adequate. Be sure to convey all of the important information, but do not confuse your web copy for an in-depth report.
    Convey value and a solution for your prospects.
    Answer all of the questions that a normal prospect may have.  Put yourself in their shoes. What would you need to know before you`d want to sign on?
    Establish your company`s expertise in the field.
    Anticipate and dispell any likely initial concerns your prospect may have.
    Leave them wanting to know more, so that they contact you!

Hope that helps.