WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

networking/marketing advice when you only want to grow a little

sasor42sasor42 subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
Okay....so many of you have been in my position, I`m sure....it`s after midnight...the kid(s) are in bed.....business that used to be steady is taking a dry spell.  You`re afraid to go out in market because you don`t want too many new clients for fear of your usual steady clients beginning to request more work, but you need a little extra something.So that`s me right now!  And I`m hoping someone out there has a been there done that advice to help me with a little nudge I was lucky enough to be one of those startups that had my previous 9-5 employer become a client.  I work from home and have a 2 year old....my husband is the major bread winner....although our budget requires me to bring a certain amount home each month.  I`m a graphic designer and enjoy a decent workload  maybe around 20-30 hours billable a week...but also make raising my daughter priority.  I`m fearful of a large marketing campaign, as I do not want to get more work than I can handle.For a couple years, I`ve been in the position that I was too busy to market and really didn`t need to...yes, I know this is bad...I believe reading on startupnation that you shouldn`t wait until the slow times to market...but the reality is, I`m there!  I have a few other small steady clients....and no one has needed work for a month or so and it`s been a wake-up call.I guess I was just giving a shout out to see if anyone understands my situation.  And has some suggestions for marketing ideas.  I honestly have not had to go out to get work...I`ve gotten nice "aside from my large client" jobs by word of mouth.....so marketing/networking is new.  I was thinking of maybe joining my local Chamber of Commerce and attend networkin gmeetings as a start.Thanks all for listening!

Comments

• mvtankymvtanky subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Christine
    I would seriously recommend to evaluate myvideotalk oppurtunity.
    Thousand of enterpreneurs Around the globe are being benefitted from it.
    Check out www.myvideotalk.com/showcase.asp</A>
  • RosannaTusseyRosannaTussey subscriber Posts: 4
    Market your services but only accept as much new business as you can handle.  Or, perhaps this is the time to think about allowing your business to grow if you experience an overwhelming response from your marketing.
    Too much business is much better than not enough.  You have options, and now is a great time to consider them- before you are faced with having to make an immediate decision.
  • sasor42sasor42 subscriber Posts: 1
    I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and confidence boost that I can handle making the next step!  I`m glad to hear I`m not alone in my fears and concerns as a home-based business owner and a parent....oh and a wife I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond!