WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Home-based Business Ideas

yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
edited January 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
Hello Homepreneurs and potential Homepreneurs,I just have two home-based business ideas to give away:1. Many schools don`t have a website. A website would help them automate a lot of tedious tasks such as registering children, exam results, homework, etc. I`m sure you can think of many other uses for a school website. Anyway, the idea is to create one website and allow several schools e.g. all the schools in your area, county, district, etc. to use it as their own. How would you make money? Those websites would get so much traffic from the tons of students and parents doing things on them that you could make money from advertising.2. Oh, oh, as I was writing the first idea, I forgot what the second was. I`ll come back and edit this post when I remember.

Comments

• Options
    TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    My local school district has a website and it is quite useful.  I am even able to check on my childrens` grades.  Their teachers update the grades weekly.
    What I would like to see is podcasts from the teachers for the daily assignments.  So, maybe there is an opportunity to consult with school deistricts on adding more features to their websites.
  • Options
    PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    Hello Homepreneurs and potential Homepreneurs,I just have two home-based business ideas to give away:1. Many schools don`t have a website. A website would help them automate a lot of tedious tasks such as registering children, exam results, homework, etc. I`m sure you can think of many other uses for a school website. Anyway, the idea is to create one website and allow several schools e.g. all the schools in your area, county, district, etc. to use it as their own. How would you make money? Those websites would get so much traffic from the tons of students and parents doing things on them that you could make money from advertising.
    We created our first app 10 years ago to address this issue.  It was called yourschoolnews.com and had a complete content management system before most people knew what a content management system was.  Unfortunately, dealing with the beauracracy of school boards was not worth the effort... since that time most schools have implemented their own websites and there is one thing I`ve learned over the years.... getting people to change... is like asking someone if they`d like to have a root canal.  Especially in the area of technology because of the expense of technical expertise.  Their current system would have to be causing them a great deal of pain before they`d consider changing.  For those school districts that still don`t have a website in todays age of digital technology... one has to ask... WHY?Pokerman2007-1-12 23:54:40
  • Options
    RosannaTusseyRosannaTussey subscriber Posts: 4
    Along that same thought in web design, there are also a lot of neighborhood associations that need websites created and/or maintained. Their often competitive (yet usually friendly) nature with other nearby associations can yield great potential.