WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Starting a Business

bryanadams8545bryanadams8545 subscriber Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in Business Planning
My girlfriend is thinking about starting a wedding planning business, and I offered to help her out as much as I can getting started - as far as the business aspect goes. I'm no business expert, but I have some basic business knowledge. I'm a senior business major with a focus in economics and planning to start working on an MBA next fall. She doesn't have much business background, she was an assistant director at a daycare and she didn't go to college. She is smart and a quick learner though, had a 4.0 in high school. With that said I have a couple questions: I'm thinking she would want to set it up as either an S-Corp or LLC, but I'm not sure which one? I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but any advice would be helpful. Any other advice for starting a business? I could be wrong, but I think this is something she could start without much capital. Another concern is whether she could do this part time while working her current job 40 hrs/wk. I have no doubt she could handle it, and could take calls before and after work and at lunch, and take care of most stuff on the weekends. I know this is very generic, and she's just now starting reading and researching about it. I just wanted to hear some input from some of you guys regarding the business/financial aspect.

Comments

• roneidaselvaroneidaselva subscriber Posts: 5
    I have also started a business on etsy shopping platform. I have bought their shopping membership to list my products here . This help me to save my money investing on new website.
  • talfigheltalfighel subscriber Posts: 0
    You will probably need to tell her that you guys need to invest some money to get the business going.
    Also, there will be some challenges that you will face when first starting out.
    The best advice I can give you is to go to your local bookstore and buy a book on how to start a wedding planning business. It is a good way to start this way in my view.