WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Beta values

WizardJoeWizardJoe subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2008 in Startup Funding
I`m writing a business plan and would like to determine the beta values for similar companies. The problem is that almost all are private. Should I just use the beta values of the nearest public companies, or is there a way to estimate beta for private companies? Could I use their history of previous valuations and compare this to the market, for example?

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    WizardJoe,
    Since beta is mathematically derived as a ratio between the return on the individual security vs the market as a whole - the individual security needs to have some "history" over time.
    While it may be an "interesting" exercise, I wouldn`t expect its existence to have any meaningful positive impact on potential investors and thus I wouldn`t invest much time in developing it.
    Again, I would not recommend discussing the valuation (past, present of future) in a business plan.

• WizardJoeWizardJoe subscriber Posts: 1
    RobertJ

I meant valuation in this case as a means of estimating beta (since I thought that if valuation represents a possible equity value then it could be compared to the market as a whole). Just merely a thought experiment, I will take your advice on it.

My goal is to sell the business after a given period of time. I also have an advertising model that will generate revenue. I want to show investors that they can obtain a sizable return this way (through advertising revenue + selling the business). How do I do this?
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Wizardjoe,

I`d begin by developing a business plan that describes how the business will be built and how profits will be generated. If (in addition to the above) you can show market and business scalability - that would be a plus.

Once you have a road map to a solid, profitable business - you can examine the capital aspects including:
    1. How much you need
    2. How it will be used
    3. Ways to provide the ROI to your investors
    3. What you can/will offer in exchange