WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Dreaming the Impossible Dream

satcheesatchee subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Startup Funding
I have recently transferred my brilliant new restaurant idea into a neatly packaged business plan at the coaxing of a wealthy family friend.  He was our primary investor and excited about the prospect.  Living in Europe, however, he took a glance at our economy and the fact that it was a restaurant and ran screaming in the other direction.  It is a revolutionary idea that follows suit with the greening trends and will attract the likes of celebrities and hipsters.  I feel that because of this, it is in its own way, (dare I say it...) economy-proof.

My questions is:  How do I protect this idea if I would like to present it to an angel investor or venture capitalist?  Is there even a way to do so?

Further:  I have no restaurant management experience.  Is this something that I can sell to a restaurant chain and be protected?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    satchee,

Beyond the legal means of IP protection (patent, copyright and trade mark) there are a few other ways to reduce the risk of an investor or potential partner adopting your idea as their own.

Have a plan as to what you will divulge to whom, when and at what point in the process. This is a variation of the old sales adage -"Don`t spill your candy in the lobby".
    Use the "trade secret" concept where applicable
    Another approach is to make it "easier" for them to include you (your company) than to do it on their own.
  • jbgeejbgee subscriber Posts: 0
       I am looking for a way to get Funding for my new business that Promotes and Markets Products and Services Worldwide. www.promoplusunlimited.com is the website and it seems the music industry is getting on board! I have a model,and im starting to get energy drinks and other promotional items interested in working with my company!
       Funding has stopped me at this point and it is hurting if anything!
    JB
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
       I am looking for a way to get Funding for my new business that Promotes and Markets Products and Services Worldwide. www.promoplusunlimited.com is the website and it seems the music industry is getting on board! I have a model,and I`m starting to get energy drinks and other promotional items interested in working with my company!   Funding has stopped me at this point and it is hurting if anything!JB
    JB,
    There are many ways to bring capital into a company. Your optimum method will depend upon the specifics of your situation.
    How much capital are you seeking at this time?