WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

basic templates for partnerships

bcamp1973bcamp1973 subscriber Posts: 2
edited July 2008 in Business Planning
I`m looking at starting a company with one other person. 50/50 split. are there any good templates for rules of organization etc so we don`t have to do everything from scratch? I`d like to do as much as possible before getting the lawyer involved to keep costs as low as possible

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I infer that this will be a different company from the one with 4 founders referenced in your previous posts.
    There are three areas to discuss:

Ownership (equity) - sounds like you`ve decided
    Control (decision making)
    Disbursement of results (profits/loss)
    For openers, you should decide if all 3 will be 50/50.
    Then you will need to decide what structure you will use. Your choice will guide some of the documents to be created. I would shy away from a general partnership.
    At the very least - I would suggest a buy/sell agreement which defines what happens if one partner wants to leave. There are many examples on the net - but if you have decided on the key points, it shouldn`t take much for an attorney to finish it.