WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Bootstrap side project or full-time funded?

AaronSAaronS subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2008 in Startup Funding
I`m thinking about starting my own business in a couple of years; I have a sound business concept with a reliable revenue model, but I`m not sure how I will go about starting my business when it comes time to pull the trigger.
I`ve broken down my possible startup entry strategy into two options:Bootstrap the project over a couple of years while I work full-time as a means of supporting myself orIn two years time, secure funding and work on my startup project full-time.
Which option would you pick and why?

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Aaron,
    Selecting an appropriate capital direction starts with determining what options are available.
    Bootstrapping may be an "available" option if you plan to create a lifestyle business. On the other hand, if your vision is to build an international enterprise - the business will probably need external capital at some point, so it`s best to plan for that in the beginning.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Craig,
    Thanks for the nice words.
    In some situations, bootstrapping can ultimately be quite "expensive" - although it may be hard to identify the final "cost".

• ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
    Absolutely bootstrap it!

You need to determine how the business will be structured, determine actual demand, and get all the kinks out.  Once you have a model that works, is generating re-occuring revenue, and is scalable... then consider funding.  Or you may find yourself in a postion where you have enough cash flow to fund it internally (and retain 100% equity), and as Martha says "That`s a good thing."