WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Finding start-up capital contests???

maeintexasmaeintexas subscriber Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Startup Funding
I know this is not very traditional, and is a bit of a long shot, but I`ve discovered that there are foundations and such that hold contests to fund start-ups. Can anyone point to any legit ones? Any pointers about this type of funding?

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Maeintexas,
    The business plan contests I`ve researched, offer a fairly small prize - which may not be commensurate with the time and effort involved.
    Going through the process can be good experience. However, many have different criteria for selecting a winner than an investor would use. As I`ve told several of our clients, I would participate for the experience and (especially) the contacts - if those connections would be helpful to you and your business.
    But, I would continue on your main road to acquiring capital - so if you win it`s like receiving a bonus.