WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Social Start Up

PoneyPoney subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Startup Funding
Hi Everyone-
Looking to reach out for some advice on my social entrepreneurial business idea, I`ll be selling merchandise and giving a percentage of annual sales proceeds to charity.
Can anyone give me any ideas about start up capital? Because the idea is for-profit, but I`m looking to give to charity is there somewhere special to start?

Thank you,
Poney

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I think it`s great that you want to contribute to charity from your business results. Some things to consider:
    1. A percentage of the annual sales may not be the optimum way to decide how much. Consider contributing a portion of the operating profit or profit before tax.
    2. If you intend to get start up capital from "investors", they should agree with your intention and you should disclose it to them.
    3. If the capital will come from borrowing - you need to be sure the revenue will service the debt. See #1 above

• Options
    PoneyPoney subscriber Posts: 2
    Very good point to think about.

Thanks you!
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You are welcome.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to send me a Private message.