WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What To Do, What Not To Do

AboveAverageJoeAboveAverageJoe subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Startup Funding
I am an aspiring entrepreneur, I am 18 years old, I have a menial job that though it isn`t fast food it doesnt really meet my growing needs, I have no support from my family: when I metioned that I wanted to be an entrepreneur my parents immediately dissmised it and suggested going to school to be a nurse or a chiropractor. I have always wanted to be an entreprenuer and as naturally as I come up with business ideas/concepts I see no reason that I would fail. Except Money. I just moved out(I was "encouraged" by my folks to do so) and I can barely pay my mounting living costs, where am I supposed to find the funds for the business startups I have running around in my head? Should I really be a chiropractor, Is entrepreneurship just not in the cards for me, am I too young to get started? I would greatly appreciate awnsers to these questions plus any thoughts on my predicament.

Comments

• carrieScarrieS subscriber Posts: 1
    While you may be low on the money portion, consider your other assets you do have available to yourself, like determination, ingenuity, time and youth.

So while you may not have funds for all of the business ideas running around in your head, you do have other assets for your use. It is simply a matter of coming up with the right idea to fit your current skills and assets. It also does not hurt to notice the skills you are lacking and go to college for them as well.

Just take the $10 in your pocket today and see what sort of entreprenurial activity you could undertake to make it worth $20.

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    aboveaveragejoe,
    First, let me congratulate you on taking the first step- seeking knowledge. I encourage you to learn all you can. Seek input from those who have been there.
    Secondly, I`ve encountered many a budding entrepreneur who told me that all they needed was money. Rarely were they accurate in their assessment. While capital is an important factor in building a business, a new company usually needs more - usually starting with a sound plan which should include a solid team.
    You are never too young (or old) to start. You may have to begin on a small scale and grow gradually.
    Don`t make your age your barrier. I`ve personally observed a 16 year old get funding.

All the best,