WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Elevator Pitch - Could you please comment?

GayaneGayane subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2007 in Elevator Pitches
You think 99.9% uptime on the web is good, but it actually means you are down 87 hours during one month!  How many customers you lost during that time?  If you want success, your website has to be open for business 24/7. 100% is not only possible it is absolutely necessary. 

MON.ITOR.US http://mon.itor.us</A> is the only commercial grade FREE website and server monitoring service that helps you detect, measure and solve problems with your website thus providing excellent customer service. In addition, you can track your visitors and analyze their geography. 

MON.ITOR.US Reseach and Community Features are your tools to conduct competitive research and generate industry performance reports.  

MON.ITOR.US is your altruistic web consultant, helping you manage and improve your web customer experience and benchmark and market your web success. 

Comments

• AndreAndre subscriber Posts: 0
    You think 99.9% uptime on the web is good, but it actually means you are down 87 hours during one month! 99.9% uptime is nowhere close to 87 hours of downtime per month. I`m not sure how you came up with that.Andre2007-8-22 22:46:41
  • GayaneGayane subscriber Posts: 1
    First problem: HOW do you guarantee 100% up time, when you`re dealing with hardware and machines?I`d change this sentence:
    100% is not only possible it is absolutely necessary.To this:
    100% is absolutely necessary---and now it`s a guarantee.
    The reason is you don`t want to lead someone into the opposite of what you intend. The first version reads like, `100% isn`t possible."
    Hi Craig, thanks for the comment. As you mentioned the problem is how to guarantee, when its a hardware.  But its possible to try work on 100%.  To thrive for the improvement.  We want to give some tools to see where one would need to work on.  While if person says I don`t need 100%, then there`ll be no reason to use the tools.  Maybe
    100% is absolutely necessary---and now it`s possible.

You think 99.9% uptime on the web is good, but it actually means you are down 87 hours during one month!
    99.9% uptime is nowhere close to 87 hours of downtime per month. I`m not sure how you came up with that.
    Right!  It should be around 7.5 hours.  Don`t know how I came up.  Thanks Anrde!
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member

By my calculations (based upon a 30 day month) 99.9% up means the actual downtime is 0.72 hours - or just a bit over 43 minutes.robertj2007-8-23 12:7:42
  • AndreAndre subscriber Posts: 0
    Right!  It should be around 7.5 hours.  Don`t know how I came up.  Thanks Anrde!It`s much less than that. It`s not even 45 minutes of downtime/month. It`s crucial that you get that right given the service you`re offering, If someone contacted me regarding a monitoring service with those numbers, I`d question the accuracy of the stats.Also, I think you`re going about this the wrong way. As a web host, I run servers, I have monitoring services in place which alert me the moment a server or a service goes down. I also get stats to look at or display on my main site if I wish. I believe that`s all that can be expected from a monitoring service. I do not expect a monitoring service to help me achieve 100% uptime on my servers. I also think you should mention specific information in your pitch, such as the monitoring intervals, the monitoring locations and all that.Good luck, your site looks great by the way.Andre2007-8-23 13:0:3
    Thank you Andre and robertj.  Now I know I need to work on my math . 
    Andre, yes, I agree that monitoring service is not a guarantee or help you to achieve uptime.  It reports on the server performance and alerts, if there are problems.  I`ll add the monitoirng intervals, and the locations.  The reports show that we monitor every 30 min.(free version) and from US, Austria and Germany. I just thoughts that might not be crucial for the first impression. 
    Actually we also allow our community to create benchmark reports that are public.  I noticed that we have one created that shows reports on hosting providers: .html
    Do you think, it is useful for you?Gayane2007-8-24 5:35:19