WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Funding for downpayment instead of VC?

selysely subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in Startup Funding
Is it realistic to think i could get enough gov`t funding (or other funding) to start a business (or at least make the 10% down for a loan)?
I`m in the process of creating my business plan for a cafe. the startup would be $225,000-$250,000. I realize there are funds out there for women-owned businesses but what i`m seeing are mostly loans. I`m hoping for some gov`t subsidies to at least foot the down payment. Am i dreaming?
Do VC`s look at women in the same light?sely2007-5-14 16:57:6

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Sely,
    The issue with the VC world isn`t gender related. Generally speaking, Venture capital firms, are not too excited about the restaurant business  for several reasons.
    However, you may be able to bring in some private equity capital -if you prepare properly and have an offer that is attractive.
  • JanetFJanetF subscriber Posts: 4
    From what I`ve heard and researched, unless you have a really original idea or something to do with advancing technology, the government isn`t too hip about giving out grants / free money.