WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Okay, my next question...

opieopie subscriber Posts: 15
edited March 2007 in Business Planning
Is an attorney absolutely necessary to form an LLC?  Is this something I can read up on and do myself?  I have been corresponding with an attorney through SCORE, and he did advise me, after telling him what I want to do, that I should definitely form an LLC.  I, being the one who is always trying to save money, am just wondering if an attorney is something I have to have. 

Comments

• Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    No, an attorney is not absolutely necessary, however if plan on having more than one member in your LLC, I would recommend retaining an attorney to assist with the drafting of your operating agreement.
  • Options
    opieopie subscriber Posts: 15
    There would only be myself under the LLC.  Do I just go to a particular office and fill out paperwork, and voila!  I have an LLC, or what??
  • Options
    BWFBWF subscriber Posts: 0
    Here is a place that can help you get started for free!
    http://www.sba.gov/services/counseling/index.html</A>
  • Options
    BWFBWF subscriber Posts: 0
    I found something for any women entrepreneurs that need a helping hand.
    http://www.sba.gov/services/counseling/wbc/index.html</A>
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Is an attorney absolutely necessary to form an LLC?  Is this something I can read up on and do myself?  I have been corresponding with an attorney through SCORE, and he did advise me, after telling him what I want to do, that I should definitely form an LLC.  I, being the one who is always trying to save money, am just wondering if an attorney is something I have to have. 

I understand about "saving Money" - or perhaps spending money on things "needlessly". However, choosing the type of structure and creating it properly are actions that can have long term repercussions. I suugest - as a minimum- invest in the time to talk with somewon who is knowledgable and experienced in this field. Depending upon your location, I can recommend someone - if you contact me privately.robertj2007-1-20 13:9:19
  • Options
    katscoolcorner1katscoolcorner1 subscriber Posts: 0
    go to legalzoom.com  you can do everything from incorporation, name changes, wills, copywrite, trademark, setting up LLC and more.   tons of advice, very professional Great.  I used it about 5 times.
    kat
  • Options
    CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
    There would only be myself under the LLC.  Do I just go to a particular office and fill out paperwork, and voila!  I have an LLC, or what??
    Check your states website. That is where I found all the forms that I needed to complete for my business/LLC. At least for the state of Illinois pretty much any form you need could be found on the Secretary of State`s web page.
    The forms were pretty straight forward, and I received my business license about 1 week later.