WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Angel Investors for Food/Restaurant Business

akoeseakoese subscriber Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2016 in Elevator Pitches
Hi everyone,I am trying to locate Angels/investors that specialize in or are at least willing to consider an investment in a Food/Restaurant business (preferably in California).We are an early stage startup and have a concept for a new Quick Casual Restaurant chain. Our proof of concept store has been operating for about 18 months now with very good results. We have lots of loyal customers and revenues are growing. We also have a strong management team, incl. top  MBA`s and an industry expert.Basically we should have all the ingredients that investors are looking for, except that we are in the food industry.Does anyone know about Angels/Investors that would be interested in looking at such a concept?

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    What level of investment are you seeking Andreas?
  • akoeseakoese subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    We are looking for $500k to open more stores and get a franchise going.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    One can structure a very appealing "deal" to attract funding for a franchising approach - regardless of the industry. Your 18 month history is a great foundation to show that the business is viable and hopefully profitable.
    The next step is to validate the potential as a franchise business.
    Robert Johnson
  • DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    We are looking for $500k to open more stores and get a franchise going.
    If you want that kind of capital, you`ll need to demonstrate a very detailed plan.  Financials, profit projections, and market analyses will get you in the door.  What will clinch the funding for a franchise is if you use the prototype businessness you have and create the franchise manual in the style of McDonald`s or Subway.   
  • jdwilliams19jdwilliams19 subscriber Posts: 0
    Is there a single "good" place to shop your business plan?  I have a proposal, which I have worked on for a long time now and think it is solid, but am having trouble imagining who I should hand it to.  I`m going to talk with some business and investment brokers and as many local business owners who will listen to me.  Does anyone know if I`m missing anything?
    Dear jdwilliams19 -
    While many roads lead to Rome - I think what you are "missing" is contained in your question. To wit - we would advise our clients against "shopping" their business plan - both actually and mentally.
    Robert Johnson

• hbt6872hbt6872 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Your challenge is...your category.
    If you have experience for the past three years in Rest. biz....maybe. You better have a High NetWorth.
  • hardknocksmbahardknocksmba subscriber Posts: 1
    There are people and VCs who invest in restaurants. Chains like Jamba
    Juice got ramped up with VC money, for example. Restaurants go in and
    out of style, but if you have a working concept and a good team it can
    be done.My wife and I invested in the Qdoba burrito chain when it was a one store operation. In our case, we invested principally because we knew the founder, and thought he was a good guy to bet on. In part, we invested because the numbers out of his first store were pretty good and it looked like a growth category. It turned out to be a very good investment.There are a lot of legal and regulatory costs associated with being a franchisor, and you may not want to bite that off before you get a bit more scale. If you do go that way, you would be well advised to bring in a top team member who has been there, done that, and let them lead the charge on recruiting and supporting franchisees. (In Qdoba`s case, the founder stepped aside, and brought in as the new CEO a guy like that.) While franchising can be a capital efficient way to grow the brand, it`s not a substitute for raising some money, because you are going to need a fair amount of money for lawyers and to pay the right person to do the franchising thing.Be prepared for changes in the management team. Assuming that you`ve not been through a rollout before, you are likely to hear that the team will need to be beefed up, probably at the very top levels, to get onboard the kind of experience needed to make the rollout work.,You might find this site interesting:http://pxr.com/crepesboutique/htmls/objectives.html
  • MONEYMANMONEYMAN subscriber Posts: 0
    The best source of direct private equity capital in the country for restaurants is located in NYC
    It is run by a group of former restaurant managemnt executives with expertise in culinary,marketing and financial backgrounds.

If your plan is soild..........I am sure they could help.
  • MONEYMANMONEYMAN subscriber Posts: 0
    Franchise models are too restrictive. (Forget them)...........Real estate deals in disguise

Attract high net worth angels and private equity firms interested in building your brand.
    They will finance your deal (will cost you control) and give you the opportunity to prove out your model.
    Once you prove out your model, then renegoiate a better equity participationsn on your next location.

It would be a win/win for everybody
  • idahoidaho subscriber Posts: 2
    You may also want to consider a franchise development company to assist you with your plans.  They may not help you secure the funding but having them prepare all the needed documents and marketing of the concept along with their guidance in growing the business could go a long way towards reassuring possible investors that their money is safe.
  • SteveFLGSteveFLG subscriber Posts: 2

Hello,
      I am located in South FL and am seeking interested investors who want to know more about a concept I am working on paper that could be a successful franchise and would be the first major franchise of it`s kind.  All I will say at this point is that it is a "Fast Food Gourmet" type of establishment that will give everyone who is into Fast Food, healthier and better quality fare and will also appeal to those that don`t typically eat fast food. Quality and Taste are going to be the #1 priorities for this establishment because based on those 2 factors, the customers and the $$$ will indeed follow..
      Think of Fast Food as an upscale product...if you can visualize it well, contact me!
    Steve G

• dixiepicnicdixiepicnic subscriber Posts: 0
    I am also looking for an angel investor for my fast casual dining concept, Dixie Picnic.  I have two years of experience in a seasonal  Jersey Shore location that has earned us a buzz and brand recognition in the Philadelphia area and NYC.  We had purchased the building a year ago with plans to tap the equity in the building (about $150,000) to use to start up a second location in a year round location.  Unfortunately, I wasted a year trying traditional funding and now with this credit crunch my credit has tanked.  If I can get one year round location started it is a formula easily replicated with plans for a central commisary to reduce operating costs in the near future.  I am only now trying the Angel investor route. We have a great product, an online store, retail product line, an opportunity to sell our signature baked good on QVC in the future, but cash flow is the name of the game. The business was from day one envisioned to be a multi-unit concept, perhaps not franchised but with an operater interest in each location, such as Outback Steakhouse has been so successful with.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hello,
      I am located in South FL and am seeking interested investors who want to know more about a concept I am working on paper that could be a successful franchise and would be the first major franchise of it`s kind.  Steve G

SteveG,
    It sounds like an interesting concept - but being Capital Ready would probably make your opportunity more attractive to investors.
    I am also looking for an angel investor for my fast casual dining concept, Dixie Picnic.  I have two years of experience in a seasonal  Jersey Shore location that has earned us a buzz and brand recognition in the Philadelphia area and NYC.  We had purchased the building a year ago with plans to tap the equity in the building (about $150,000) to use to start up a second location in a year round location.  Unfortunately, I wasted a year trying traditional funding and now with this credit crunch my credit has tanked.  If I can get one year round location started it is a formula easily replicated with plans for a central commissary to reduce operating costs in the near future.  I am only now trying the Angel investor route. We have a great product, an online store, retail product line, an opportunity to sell our signature baked good on QVC in the future, but cash flow is the name of the game. The business was from day one envisioned to be a multi-unit concept, perhaps not franchised but with an operator interest in each location, such as Outback Steakhouse has been so successful with.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you looking for capital to complete your first year round location?

What kind of traditional funding were you trying to get for the past year- a bank loan on the equity in the property?