WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Vonage -- Does it work for small business?

DallasMDDallasMD subscriber Posts: 2
Does Vonage work safely, effectively and reliably for a small business?
I have a medical clinic where we are dependent on our phone and internet system for success.  Is Vonage something we should consider or would we be making a big mistake with this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• LaBoLawLaBoLaw subscriber Posts: 0

Dr. Kakar,
    BEWARE - VOIP is NOT ready for business use.  I did not use Vonage.  I now have the extreme upgrade to Vonage which is a BellSouth Full T-1/PRI dedicated phone line for my office.  I have a second office which also runs the same VOIP phone system. 
    It does not work well.  There is consistently a buzz or hiss or crackle in the background.  I made the switch because my phone bill was cut dramatically in cost, however, I am sorry I did.  The investment in a VOIP compliant phone system and the very hard transition into the technology to just get it working was not worth the cost.  Now I need to go back to twisted pair cables (regular phone lines) for the satalite office because the VOIP simply is not working well.
    I wish you luck.
    Brian LaBovick

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Yes this has already been addressed before.. It works until you grow and need more service, but as a start up yes it works
  • HondoTechHondoTech subscriber Posts: 3
    One of the many hats I wear happens to be a Vonage Dealer and end user myself (3 lines and 1 dedicated fax).
    Vonage works well for businesses as long as you understand its limitations and yours.
    Vonage requires 110-128k of upload bandwith per line active at any one time.  www.vonage.com</A> recommends 90k, but at the 110+ range the calls are crystal clear.  If you have 2-3 phones all going at the same time, you need to have the bandwidth available for each line.
    Your "typical" home (read lite, express, etc.) DSL or Cable service will cap out around 128k upload.  You will need to check with whatever service provider you are or will be using and make sure you are getting the upload speeds that you will need.

• GiovannaGiovanna subscriber Posts: 0
    My friend has a jewelry business and calls me all the time on Vonage. I
    made extra effort to try to listent to a  hiss or crackle but to
    my surprise, there weren`t any. If the business is home based, then go
    for it.
  • HondoTechHondoTech subscriber Posts: 3
    My friend has a jewelry business and calls me all the time on Vonage. I made extra effort to try to listent to a  hiss or crackle but to my surprise, there weren`t any. If the business is home based, then go for it.
    The typical "crackle or hiss" that people often complain about will be on the Vonage users end, not on the opposite.
    Vonage is quite viable for storefront businesses as well, you just need to make sure your getting the upload bandwidth you need to support it.

• jlukasavigejlukasavige subscriber Posts: 2
    If the power goes out you`ll most likely not be able to use any phone, unless it`s an old corded model with no features.  We use Vonage and it works great.
  • williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    If the power goes out you`ll most likely not be able to use any phone, unless it`s an old corded model with no features.  We use Vonage and it works great.
    I completely agree with the outage.  If DSL is the service and the both the modem, VoIP adapter, router, and phone are protected by UPS then this does not only protect the equipment but does increase the chances of it continuing to run.  Power over Ethernet even brings more positive results.
  • DallasMDDallasMD subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the quality info!
  • wifistudioswifistudios subscriber Posts: 1
    Just thouht I could share this information with you guys about my VoIP phone, because it really helped my business.

I went to http://www.MyVoiceEclipse.com
    and signed up for the $19.99 plan that gives me two phone lines, 2 fax
    lines, 2 voice mail boxes, and ulimited local and long distance.

You can use a regular phone or a virtual phone on your computer that you can use anywhere in the world.

Just thought that this might help you as it did me.

Thanks and good luck!
  • Mike LevinMike Levin subscriber Posts: 7 Member

Many websites offer virtual numbers, so be careful about choosing one.

You should never do business with a provider that has a  bad rating or don’t have a contact phone number.

I use sendmycall.com  they are not the cheapest but the price is reasonable considering they offer free VPBX phone system and you can actually talk to someone from customer service and the call quality is great