WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Creation of a new dating service web site

LipstickmogulLipstickmogul subscriber Posts: 6
edited May 2006 in Selecting a Business
Can anyone point me in a direction or give advise on the How to`s of this project? Just an idea at this time.
Robin

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Robin,
    What is your Unique Selling Proposition that would set your service apart from the many already out there?
    Are you looking at online & brick & mortar?
    BTW - I think your LipVue product is a winner!
    R@
  • LipstickmogulLipstickmogul subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks, Richard...Lipvue is rolling along very well. We are in production with our manufacturer in China right now.
    As far as the dating site, on-line only. I just don`t know what it takes to manage a site like that or what the server needs would be, etc....I have an idea that hasn`t been done before and have been thinking about it for a long time. I do my web sites but it is a simple program.  I imagine I would have to hire someone with the skills to manage a site like that with the traffic it would bring.Of course, it could be something that a person could do from their home computer. Believe me, it would fly. I was hoping to find someone who knew the ins and outs. It could be close to the size of the larger popular sites. Right now, I don`t want to post the idea publically, I don`t want anyone grabbing the idea.
    R
    R
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    R,
    Best stratgey for finding specialized and targeted help is to do some intel on the existing successful dating sites and find some staff who might be willing to come onboard with your new venture. The best people are stolen everyday. Shortens your learning curve. Compile the dossiers on your targeted subjects, make contact, feel them out without giving up your USP and narrow the list down to a select few you feel comfortable going to the next step with. I`m assuming you would be willing to let go of some equity position for the right person. Become your own headhunter and find that key person.
    R@
    This may sound simplistic, what about posting on this site re: looking for "webmaster" type for creation of new web site??? As a start...there may be people with those skills on this site looking for an opportunity?
    Robin

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Well, well.. Another dating site.There are many things you have to take into consideration when building an application that deals with people`s information. Some things you may want to consider are; Customer information, how much of this information  do you want other`s to view on their profile. No addresses or telephone numbers I hope. Perfer using a Screen Name rather than their real name. This is only the begining. On the server side you would need a secure socket layer (certificate) to protect credit card numbers and personal information. you need a MYSQL database in place. You know what would be nice to have a chat room. or a chat window where they can communicate once they pay the monthly fee.One other feature you may want to have is a filter so they can browse by gender, race, religion, and so forth.There are lots of things that can be done that haven`t been done.
    I understand all of this, which is why I need "professional help"...ha, ha, ha!  It is another dating site yes, but for a specified section of the population which I think will go over well and hasn`t been done. I can do web sites, and do my own but very simplistic compared to a professional.