WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How much do I charge Advertisers?

esilvaesilva subscriber Posts: 4
Hi,
I`m about to launch my website not too long from now. Wondering how much I charge Advertisers to put an Add on my site. I know it depends on the size of the add and traction of the site and all but just wanna know the jist or if there`s a website out there with info.
Thanks for anyone`s help on this matter!
-Eric

Comments

• esilvaesilva subscriber Posts: 4
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Hi,
    I`m about to launch my website not too long from now. Wondering how much I charge Advertisers to put an Add on my site. I know it depends on the size of the add and traction of the site and all but just wanna know the jist or if there`s a website out there with info.

The most important metric in determining ad prices is your traffic. If you`re not getting a significant amount of traffic to your website, then you can`t in good conscience charge people to advertise on your site. Contact Adbrite for further information regarding this topic.

Dale King
    DaleKing6/12/2008 3:48 PM
    Sounds good I`ll go ahead and check that out.
    Thanks!
    That`s awesome advice and will start checking out the related companies first off.
    Thanks Jeff!
    -Eric
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    One piece of Advice I can give is that you should measure your web traffic in total numbers.  This is probably the most important selling point for you.  What you will need to come up with are not only average Monthly hits to the websites (total hits) but also how many unique visitors you have to your site.  As the traffic increases so do your prices.
    Yeah that`s what I was thinking. Thanks for your help Aaron! I`ll have add some numbers up now.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    you`ll need to have reliable, sharable website analytics data, too.

google analytics is kind of a standard if you`re not a larger site.

up to speed on google analytics, esilva?

rich

you`ll need to have reliable, sharable website analytics data, too. google analytics is kind of a standard if you`re not a larger site. up to speed on google analytics, esilva? rich 

Definitely a good solution.  However, if it`s not set up yet on a site it takes time to gather good information.
    If you can`t wait for Google Analytics to compile numbers for you download the raw log files and use a free WWW log file reader/analytic number crunching program like `WebLog Expert Lite`.  Easy to use and gives you the quick stats you need.  They have higher priced packages that can do just about every type of number/data crunching you will need for a site.sddreamweavers6/16/2008 6:53 PM
    One piece of Advice I can give is that you should measure your web traffic in total numbers.  This is probably the most important selling point for you.  What you will need to come up with are not only average Monthly hits to the websites (total hits) but also how many unique visitors you have to your site.  As the traffic increases so do your prices.

Hits are a meaningless metric for measuring traffic. The only metric for measuring traffic that really matters is unique visitors.

Dale King

Hits are a meaningless metric for measuring traffic. The only metric for measuring traffic that really matters is unique visitors.Dale King"   in addition to unique visitors, advertisers find the following metrics important (and constantly ask for): page views share of voice that their ad campaign will have
    demographics of visitors
    specific site sections that will match their target/criteria besthope this is helpful.rich Rich6/16/2008 7:06 PM

One piece of Advice I can give is that you should measure your web traffic in total numbers.  This is probably the most important selling point for you.  What you will need to come up with are not only average Monthly hits to the websites (total hits) but also how many unique visitors you have to your site.  As the traffic increases so do your prices.    Hits are a meaningless metric for measuring traffic. The only metric for measuring traffic that really matters is unique visitors. Dale King

To people who run the site?  Perhaps.  But when you`re selling, the person offering advertising has to use whatever statistical analytics available to them and are attractive to potential advertisers.  That`s why not only total hits and unique visitors are used.  Advertisers can get a good ratio of what quality of traffic comes to the given site.  For example if a site says they have 2 million hits but only 20K unique visitors that would tell advertisers a site gets a lot of junk traffic (Rogue Bots, image stealers, etc) .  However, if a site advertises 2 million hits and 1.5 million unique visitors they would jump all over that statistic and purchase advertising.
    I`m not on gAnalytics yet Rich but did read about that on your marketing a website piece yesterday. I`ll definitely check that out and figure out the junk visitors vs the unique ones as well. This is Awesome thanks All I appreciate it!
    -Eric

To people who run the site?  Perhaps.  But when you`re selling, the person offering advertising has to use whatever statistical analytics available to them and are attractive to potential advertisers.  That`s why not only total hits and unique visitors are used.  Advertisers can get a good ratio of what quality of traffic comes to the given site.  For example if a site says they have 2 million hits but only 20K unique visitors that would tell advertisers a site gets a lot of junk traffic (Rogue Bots, image stealers, etc) .  However, if a site advertises 2 million hits and 1.5 million unique visitors they would jump all over that statistic and purchase advertising.

this makes a ton of sense to me and dovetails with my experiences dealing with advertisers.
    in addition to unique visitors, advertisers find the following metrics important (and constantly ask for):
     page views
    share of voice that their ad campaign will have
    demographics of visitors
    specific site sections that will match their target/criteria best    You`re talking apples and oranges. My exact quote was "Hits are a meaningless metric for measuring traffic. The only metric for measuring traffic that really matters is unique visitors." Any advertising consultant worth his or her salt will tell you pageviews are not nearly as important for measuring traffic as unique visitors. Knowledgeable advertisers don`t pay for pageviews. At least the advertisers I know don`t. They pay for actual visitors.  Furthermore, demographics is a metric used to identify consumer segments and markets - not measure number of visitors to your website. Specific site segments is also not a measurement of how many people visit your website.. Obviously, those other elements are important. But not as it relates to actual number of visitors, which is the only argument I was making.  My answer pertained only to measuring the actual number of visitors to your website. Not the type of visitor or where they go once they get to your site.  Dale King  DaleKing6/17/2008 8:47 PM
    "Share of voice" meaning how many other advertisers are rotating in the available slots?

No. Paula, Share of Voice is the total percentage that your company spends to promote your business to a particular audience. For example, suppose $10 million in advertising is spent overall by graphic designers in your industry, and you spent $1 million to promote your business. Theorectically, your Share of Voice would be 10% of the industry.

Dale King
    DaleKing6/17/2008 11:45 AM