WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

need virtual assistant clients-marketing advice

takeabreaktakeabreak subscriber Posts: 5
edited June 2007 in Marketing
Hello.   I`ve been reading this forum and noticed alot of intelligent advice provided here.  I`ve been working on what steps I should take to market a virtual administrative services business that I would like to start part-time, in addition to my full-time job.    I`d like to find some creative ways to locate potential clients.  I`ve already placed a newspaper ad. and  that was a total waste.   I`m in the middle of designing my brochure.  Would it be wise to do a mailing next, perhaps send a letter and my brochure to self-employed small businesses in the area, for starters?    I made contact with one new business here that was looking for marketing advice in another forum.  I volunteered to help them for a few weeks at no charge, in exchange for a testimonial from them.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated. takeabreak2007-6-22 16:35:4

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Hello takeabreak:
    My sister owns her own VA business, and I`ll give you the same advice I gave her...NETWORK,,,NETWORK...NETWORK.
    Creative advertising is fine, and forum posting can also be very effective. However,  for your type of business, networking is the KEY. Join your local Chamber of Commerce and if you have a local BNI chapter,  join that too.
    You should also go door to door and introduce yourself to other businesses in the area.
    Keep your nose to the grindstone and don`t get discouraged, and you`ll get your share of business.
    Dale King
     DKing2007-6-22 18:48:56
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    takeabreak.i need one. please Private Message me with details.looking forward to hearing from you. who knows - we could end up working together in which case i may be able to share my satisfaction (and recommendation) here at StartupNation!best,rich
  • takeabreaktakeabreak subscriber Posts: 5
    Hello CraigL,
    Yes,  I`m looking for some creative ways to market my virtual assistant business that I am starting.  I understand that it will take alot of networking and meeting people.  I put one ad in the local paper, but haven`t done any marketing, yet.  For starters, I`m working on designing a brochure that I plan to send to some local business owners that  I already know who might be interested.               
  • takeabreaktakeabreak subscriber Posts: 5
    Dale ,
    Thanks for your advice.  I do plan on doing alot of networking locally.  My brochure will be completed this week and I will send it out to all the business owners that I already know.  Going door-to-door is fine, but I`m also looking  to establish some remote clients, as well , so I may try some type of mailing of sorts, too.        
  • LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    Do you have a niche? Is there a certain industry you`re targeting within the small business category? Marketing is a lot easier if you`re able to target a specific audience and it`s much more effective because it allows you to speak their language.As for newspaper advertising, it generally needs to be repeated on a consistent basis to be effective (and that can get very expensive). But it can be effective. My advice before doing any kind of mailing is to really narrow down who your target is. Figure out the industries you want to work with and target your marketing materials to them.Good luck,Lisa
  • schoenleschoenle subscriber Posts: 1
    Do you have a web site?
    If you do you should update your StartUp profile with your site as well as couple of services you offer.