WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A call from NBC - here’s what happened...

JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
edited July 2007 in Sales
Hi everyone,
Here`s a quick story of what happened when an NBC reporter called me last time... 
The reporter asked me if I was the inventor of SmudgeGuard. I said yes.
She then tells me that she`s a reporter from NBC and would like to do a story about my product. So at this point, I`m feeling very excited since it was NBC calling.
Then, she asked what my sales in revenue were for this past year. I told her that I haven`t been in business for even a year yet so I wouldn`t know the total.
So she still asks me for an estimate, so my reply was, "Well, I know it didn`t hit the millions yet..(jokingly)" But I guess she didn`t take it as a joke and her reply was.."Okay, since my program is only interested in a million or more, I guess we`ll get back to you."   "Wh-a-t-t?  -  WELL, talk about being excited for just a few seconds to being really disappointed in a quick minute!
Just because I didn`t hit the million dollar mark yet?  Sighhh..Oh well.. life goes on.  
So as a helpful tip to all, just be prepared for that revenue question if a reporter ever asks you. If you`re one that`s making over a million, that`s great!  But if you`re not, just don`t get too over excited like I did. They may not even want to do a story on you or your product afterall.  
Has anybody else ever experienced this kind of call from a reporter from NBC or any other network?
Jeannie

Comments

• InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Wow! I am sorry to hear about the reporter`s story criteria. Your product is brilliant. But hopefully they`ll source you and call back again!
  • JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    Wow!  It`s great to wake up to all the kind replies from the GREAT SuN members... CookieMonster, Degrees, Cartess, nhgnikole, and CraigL! I`m truly touched by all your nice comments, words of encouragement and wisdom!
    CookieMonster,
    I hope NBC will be kind enough to call me back again one day. Until then, I will be waiting patiently and getting prepared for that moment.
    Degrees,
    I`ve never seen Donny Deutsch`s show before.  Instead, I`ve been watching shows like American Inventor and Everyday Edisons. I really should start tuning into Donny`s show to learn more. So maybe it REALLY was that show calling, I wonder.. 
    Cartess,
    My product is doing okay. It has it`s ups and downs. Nothing steady yet. When it`s exposed on the gadget sites, it does well. But it quickly tapers off when the stories get archived.
    But I`ve seen your video on YouTube.com about magic (very cool by the way) and I want to follow suit but I don`t have the equipment or the creativity to make one yet.  But I`ve been doing research about Wacom users on YouTube recently and found that Wacom users often create their own home-made kind of glove to reduce hand friction.  So I came across this cool video from an artist who uses a home-made, cut-up white cotton glove to draw on his Wacom Cintiq.  I wondered if it would be a good idea to write to him and ask if he would be interested in getting a free SmudgeGuard in return for him wearing my glove instead the next time he makes a video.  What are your thoughts?
    Please see this artist`s cool video below for your reference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2APo_EORQ</A>
    What do you ALL think about that idea? Your feedback would be much appreciated.
    nhgnikole,
    The revenue question caught me off guard too. The nerve! LOL
    But yeah, the hype piece would`ve been GREAT press, no doubt!
    CraigL,
    Your optimistic perspective is always welcomed! Yeah, NBC did indeed call me. I guess it`s not bad afterall! Since I`m a bad speaker, I will need to follow your good advice and practice answering those good questions you thought of. I think I got a D in public speaking class back in the day. So I`ll definitely need to practice!  
    I want to thank everyone for their great feedback! I really appreciate it!
    Sincerely,
    Jeannie   
     Jeannie2007-6-15 9:35:4
    Craig,
    You are absolutely right. Thanks for the encouragement and support Coach!   I know I do lack some confidence in myself sometimes.  So I really appreciate your quick push for me!
    I`m learning so much from all of you here at SuN, it`s really an honor to be in the presence of such knowledgeable and amazing people!
    Thanks again!
    Jeannie
  • toobizyladytoobizylady subscriber Posts: 1
    Jeannie,
    I was just reading over your post. Not everyone can say NBC called wanting to do a story on their product.  Despite that you not at the million mark in revenue it is still awsome.  Good luck to you.
    I also have been enjoying the Big Idea shows.
    Best Regards,
    Julie Barnes
    Hi Julie,
    Thanks for the kind comment. I appreciate it.
    Yes, I gotta tune into the Big Idea Show.  Now, all I need to do is find the channel and time of their schedule!
    Jeannie
  • toobizyladytoobizylady subscriber Posts: 1
    It is on CNBC at 9 pm Central
    Julie,
    I`ve already set up my Tivo to record every episode.  Thanks!
    To Craig, Cartess, houseofjerkyjanie, Degrees:
    Here`s an update in case you guys wanna know....I already made contact with the artist who made the cool video with his white glove on YouTube. I asked him if he would be interested in a free SmudgeGuard in return for his feedback and maybe even wear my glove the next time he makes a video, and he wrote back to me and he AGREED! That is so generous and kind of him to help me.  
    In addition, Cartess, I want to thank you too for being kind enough to help me with a video as well! 
    I also want to thank Degrees too, for telling me about his experience with his Wacom. It really has sparked a new avenue for me to pursue. Thanks Degrees! 
    I`m very grateful for ALL the kind support! Here`s a big hug to all!
    Sincerely,
    Jeannie Lit
     Jeannie2007-6-19 21:9:44
    Yes, Craig...it COULD be a song! Hey, since you like to write, have you ever considered writing lyrics?
    Kathy..Yes, I believe YouTube is the most economical way for me market my product now since I can`t afford the big advertising companies yet.  I think it`s even easier to target the right markets with YouTube as well because the other day, I posted one comment under the artist`s video about SmudgeGuard and it already generated an order for me.  
    Kathy, thanks for the nice comment! I really appreciate it!
    JeannieJeannie2007-6-20 8:33:8
    That`s definitely a different perspective!  

Here`s an update in case you guys wanna know....I already made contact with the artist who made the cool video with his white glove on YouTube. I asked him if he would be interested in a free SmudgeGuard in return for his feedback and maybe even wear my glove the next time he makes a video, and he wrote back to me and he AGREED! That is so generous and kind of him to help me.  
    In case you guys wanted to know the end result.. the great artist from the cool youtube video has made the second video with the SmudgeGuard on.  Here it is at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLEubvE5ZQ4</A>
    So, there`s really alot of kind and helpful people out in the world.  I`m very grateful to ALL who have helped me on this entrepreneurial journey.
    Sincerely,
    Jeannie

• bookloverbooklover subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    Jeannie, 
    That is awesome!  Congratulations!  What a great showcase for your product.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    jeannie,are you a home-based entrepreneur?rich
    Dear Booklover, Martyvan, and Degrees,
    Thanks for all your kind comments. I appreciate it!
    Now, ever since Degrees mentioned "The Big Idea Show" by Donny, I`ve been hooked to that show!  I`ve been seeing every episode.  He and his guests give you so much inspiration! Next, I`m gonna write to Donny and tell him what I think about his show. Let`s see if he`ll be kind enough to write back to me!
    Hi Rich!
    Yes, I`m a home-based entrepreneur. Oh, by the way, it was great being on your radio show last Friday!  It was pretty exciting since I`ve never been on the radio before.  Alison was very nice too! Thanks for your great advice!
    Sincerely,
    JeannieJeannie2007-7-18 20:43:39
  • NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5
    Hey there! I am a little late on weighing in on this but congrats on making it to the radar screen of NBC. In my other entrepreneurial life, I was the queen of garnering good press. The interesting thing was I never had a clue how that happened. I tell people in my internet company I "bumbled my way into success"...lol. So fielding those kind of calls will probably start happening more from the majors now that you are on the radar somewhere. A piece of advice though, when you get an inquiry like that even if it is a pass you should get that reporter`s information and the types of stories they do. That way you can start feeding him/her milestones and other pub you get and maybe give them an angle to cover you on. Each inquiry is an opportunity if not now soon. Major Kudos on the YouTube angle! That is grassroots marketing at its finest.
    Hi Netmom,
    Thanks for your great advice! I will be sure to hit them up for the type of stories they do next time. You are right, each inquiry is an opportunity.  Thanks for your nice comments too! I appreciate it!
    Jeannie