WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Board of Advisors

OnlineSidingJamesOnlineSidingJames subscriber Posts: 2
I was recently inspired by my post on SUN to kick around the idea of forming a Board of Advisors.

Does anyone have any input on this? Good? Bad?

This is just an idea for now, I would really appreciate some feedback on this...

JamesOnlineSidingJames2006-8-24 23:26:19

Comments

• Options
    RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    this article may be of help, james.
    trepreneurs.asp
    rich
  • Options
    JewlzJewlz subscriber Posts: 0
    That was a great article, Rich.  This has been something we`ve been discussing lately ourselves.  Where I really struggle is how to compensate them.  I had someone a long time ago tell me you give them a small percentage of equity in your company (which is really nothing still) & if they believe in what you`re doing, they not only will be willing to wait, but will get a thrill out of knowing that they were key in the success.  What is that small percent though?  I have no idea what is appropriate.  Right now, my partners and I own the business 40/40/20.  Any insight would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    equity that vests over the course of their advisory role is a common and effective practice. also, covering travel or paying a token fee can be a good practice - this can act symbolically as an indication that this is a serious role they`re assuming and they have treat it professionally, not casually.
    remember this, too: you have to have very clear idea in your mind what they`re supposed to get out of this. is it monetary income? is it psychic income? is it stimulation? is it affiliation with other notable advisors? be sure you`re clear about this as you pitch and assemble your prospective advisory board members.
    also, be sure you`re clear with them about any liabilities they assume by being an advisor. depending on how you craft it, they might not assume any fiduciary resonsibilities (as opposed to directors on a Board of Directors). this may make them more open to considering investing their time with you... knowing there`s not a lot of personal risk for them.
    rich
  • Options
    rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    Rich,
    Great article. You should post it at writingup.
    See http://www.writingup.com/?referer=6406</A>
    FREE to join and post.
    Regards Michael