WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Licensing your Invention

willgormanwillgorman subscriber Posts: 1
Has anyone here on the Startup Nation Forums worked with companies similar to Evergreen IP (http://www.evergreenip.com/</A>)?  I`m working on an invention (provisional patent filed, patent search completed) and I`m interested in finding a company who could be an agent or advisor.  The invention is a high-tech consumer networking product, so the agent or advisor would probably need expertise in that area.
I`m also just curious if people have had any luck with companies like Evergreen IP.
Thanks!Will

Comments

• LordEmsworthLordEmsworth subscriber Posts: 0
    Man, I would be EXTREMELY cautious about entering into any agreement with any firm like this.  Most of these firms are scams.  Check them out on the patent office web site (www.uspto.gov</A>), with the BBB, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the State Attorney General and any other entity you can think of.  See if you can find out their success record (i.e. what percentage of companies they have helped have "made it".)  Find out how long they have say they have been in business and when the company was actually formed.  Many firms are shut down by the FTC only to start up again with a new name.  Let me know if they turn out to be good.  I always have inventors looking for this kind of help.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    will,
    you might want to check out this thread at StartupNation also. i know LordEmsworth has posted there, too, along with others, on this very topic...
    rich

• willgormanwillgorman subscriber Posts: 1
    Rich and LordEmsworth,
    Thanks for the advice.  I read through the suggested forum.  I wish I knew a couple of Sloan brothers in my area! ;-)   One avenue we`re pursuing is seeking assistance from SCORE.  I`ll let you know how well that works out.  Rich, I saw that you and Jeff will be in Sarasota later this month presenting at the Sarasota Tech Conference.  I`ll be there and I look forward to your talk!Will
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    looking forward to it!
    rich
    P.S. i always speak for my brother, too. most of the time he doesn`t realize it, but i`m sure in this case, he wouldn`t argue!
  • DaveBDaveB subscriber Posts: 0
    Will, some time back you asked:
    "Has anyone here on the Startup Nation Forums worked with companies similar to Evergreen IP?"
    Norton Townsley responded:
    "Man, I would be EXTREMELY cautious about entering into any agreement with any firm like this.  Most of these firms are scams."
    A little harsh, but generally sound advice.  The inventor industry has been plagued by those who would play upon inventors` hopes.  On the other hand, there is an emerging set of firms who are different.  Like Evergreen IP, they invest in testing, protecting, developing, and commercializing ideas.  They don`t earn money by charging fees; they earn money by sharing in the success of commercialized products.
    Check out what the Harvard Business Review has to say about innovation capitalists.
    Since yours is a high-tech consumer product, it`s not a good fit for EIP.  But, it`s possible that over the coming months, there will be an innovation capitalist firm that emerges that does exist.
    Best hopes for your success,
    Dave
    W. David BaylessEvergreen Innovation Partners
  • inventorspotinventorspot subscriber Posts: 1
    Before contacting any invention submission or marketing company, I would read some of the articles likeInventions Scams: Classic Warning SignsandInsider Expose on Invention Promotions Firmsso you know what to watch out for. Also, you should screen all companies you are going to deal with with this Caution List.You can find a directory of other Invention Scam information resources at InventorSpot.comGood luck.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    without a patent, there is usually nothing to license.
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Before you have your product available in the market, you must have the right business or product name to use it. Use unique and competitive name. Refer to this site http://eatmywords.com/portfolio/before-and-after/ how branding and naming can help your idea prior to marketing.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    When you license a patent, basically you are allowing others to use your idea and then you can collect royalties. That can certainly be an incredibly lucrative venture especially if you license to an established, successful company or several companies that fair decently in the marketplace. However, it’s true that a lot of patents don’t have any real worth so if you haven’t already filed a patent this is something to think about.