WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How good are my numbers?

resjobhunterresjobhunter subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2006 in Website Critique
Hello nation,
My website Restaurantjobhunter.com launched on September 5th, and I am trying to determine how good or bad are the numbers for my site.
Unique Visitors:      
Sept 587      Oct 203
Number of visits:     
Sept 2016     Oct 446
Pages:       
Sept 55815    Oct 8581
Hits:    
Sept 92504         O ct 16043
Also, which number is the most important?  And which should I (or shouldn`t I) quote to customers? 
Thanks,
Renresjobhunter2006-10-6 15:4:59

Comments

• RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi RenAlso, which number is the most important?  And which should I (or shouldn`t I) quote to customers? It`s really important to understand what your numbers mean. I`d start by working out who is included in them. Some stats programs report "viewed" and "total" figures while others only use "total" figures. This is important because on a site with low traffic your total figures will be inflated by search engine indexing (and even your own visiting the site). On a small site I keep  only 1 in every 3.5 pages served is viewed by a real person.Unique Visitors: The number of unique people who accessed your site during the month. (i.e. if one person visitied your site every day it should report 1 unique visitor instead of 30).

Number of visits: The total number of visits during the month (i.e. if one person visited your site every day it would report 30 visits).

Pages: The number of web pages that were viewed by the people who visited your site.

Hits: A count of all the pages, images, files, style sheets, etc. (i.e. a page with 9 images would count as 1 page but 10 hits)

So what should you quote? That depends on whether you want to inflate the figures (without telling a lie) and what you consider commerically sensitive.If I wanted to inflate the site usage without telling a lie:1. Hits2. Number of visits (maybe)If I wanted to provide a more honest picture:1. Number of unique visitors2. Number of visits3. Number of pagesJust remember that the last three will also tell competitors how well your doing.