WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

College Student Thinking of Ideas

SL2700SL2700 subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Selecting a Business
I`m currently a college student looking for some ideas on starting up a
business.  I`ve been coming up with some ideas that would take
advantage of all of the mass amounts of people in such a small area.  
I currently have been weighting the pros and cons of two ideas.  The
first would be a college promotion business.  It would almost be like a
marketing firm where I would target my college campus and advertise for
businesses.  I`ve seen a lot of companies target my campus for people
to promote them, but I haven`t seen a business take care of them all. 
My other idea is an online grocery/school supplies store that delivers
on my campus.  I`ll be working out of my apartment this year.  If you
guys could leave some advice that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• SL2700SL2700 subscriber Posts: 1
    There is another site that I could buy a franchise from called custom
    groceries. The question is should I buy into a franchise, or pay for someone
    to make my own site?
  • LydianyLydiany subscriber Posts: 1
    I recently graduated from college, I like your ideas, however, when I was a
    student, a lot of the grocery stores offered delivery for only $5. It`s
    becoming more common for grocery stores to offer cheap delivery so you
    should be aware of that possibility.

If you do decide to go ahead with starting a business, drop me a line. I do
    graphic design and would love to help you out.
    http://www.redefinedesignstudios.com
  • SparkleGirlSparkleGirl subscriber Posts: 2
    Remembering back to my college days, money (not enough) was always an issue with me and the majority of my friends so you`ll need to first determine if your student population would support such a delivery endeavor. 
  • CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m currently a college student looking for some ideas on starting up a business.  I`ve been coming up with some ideas that would take advantage of all of the mass amounts of people in such a small area.   
    The Big Boys have your idea, too. At the end of the school year, Fed Ex had tables, shipping boxes, tape, etc. set up on the Northwestern campus.  Smart on their part!
  • jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Amazon.com offers groceries now. Non-perishable of course. They are sold in bulk much like Costco or Sam`s. However, they deliver. If you could create a list of items that you can buy in bulk, you could deliver the items, charge a delivery fee of course, and you get paid by Amazon.
  • SL2700SL2700 subscriber Posts: 1
    If I did a grocery delivery service I would only do delivers 3 days a
    week, it would help save on gas and making only 1 trip to the dorms a
    day.   However, if I started a promotion business.  I would produce things such as clothing, hats, fliers, bags, etc.. basically anything you can put a name on.  Then I could target large frats and bars.
  • SparkleGirlSparkleGirl subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi SL2700,
    I sent you a PM, please contact me when you get a chance. Thanks!

• RetiredMemberRetiredMember subscriber Posts: 0
    College Student (and high-rise/apartment block) Biz Ideas....
    Delivery Service (contract) for Local Businesses...Mobile Canteen (sodas, snacks and favorite foods)...Mobile "Essentials" Store...Laundry Pick-up/Delivery Service...Shipping/Packing Service..."Dorm Stuff" Rentals/Sales/Pawn/Re-sales...Student Van Shuttle Service...Party-time "Gypsy Taxi" Service...Bicycle/Moped/Scooter Service & Repair..."Finder" of stuff for students...Student/Campus `Classified ads` online...Campus Area Flea Market Operator (or vendor)...Video and Game rentals/sales/exchange...Low-cost cars/bikes/mopeds/scooters (buy/sell/rent) for Campus Kids...Paper re-writing/editing service......Be sure to check on local licensing... peddlers/vendors/sales tax permits MAY be required.
    Old NikkoGM. The Entrepreneur Group on MSNhttp://groups.msn.com/entrepreneur</A>

• LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3

My other idea is an online grocery/school supplies store that delivers
    on my campus.  I`ll be working out of my apartment this year.  If you
    guys could leave some advice that would be great.

Thanks
    SL2700,I think that you should check out this company and perhaps follow their business model.https://www.oneclickgrocery.com/They been pretty successful and they are now also expanding their business in sharing the nuts and bolts of the business plus the software for the online store is already packaged for purchase.  Check it outLT
  • lsatcoachlsatcoach subscriber Posts: 0
    One of the best delivery ideas I`ve ever seen is http://www.boulderbaked.comThey keep "student hours" (as in very late at night) and deliver fresh baked cookies, milk and other sweets that students usually can`t come up with on their own.It`s better than ordering pizza! If this idea hasn`t hit your college town yet, do this!
  • rblase2001rblase2001 subscriber Posts: 0
    Definitely delivery is the way to go.  Its a much needed service and if you can get products consumers want, you won`t be disappointed.  You can start small and once you get a hang of it, you can grow.