WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Question about an idea

Myst3ryMyst3ry subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Selecting a Business
Hi all,
this is my first topic to this forum. I have a pretty simple idea but I think it could have some potential. I`m not planning on creating a big business, I just want to do my little project. I`m not really sure where to begin tho.
I did this as a small business project in school. We put a flatscreentv in our school, plugged a hard drive to it, went to some companies, created some commercial movies for these companies and showed them in our school. Now I want to do this for other schools or maybe other places where more people meet. Can you guys give me some tips? Should I first go to schools and/or the public places and ask them if they think this is interesting and what they would want for it? The thing is, this will cost time and gas and then I`m limited to the number. Or should I like email them all first and visit only the ones who reply?
Other responses on my idea are all welcome!
Thanks a lot already.

Comments

• Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m a little bit confused as to the movies you will be showing to the schools. What exactly from the companies will you be showing them?
    As for contacting the schools and businesses...email is a little impersonal and can be easily deleted or ignored, and physically driving there will use up gas and take up a lot more time...would you consider calling up these prospects instead?
  • Options
    yAnnIckyAnnIck subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi, I`m new too! calling them is indeed a good ideayAnnIck1/21/2009 12:16 PM
  • Options
    What I`m showing is probably mostly vacancies in schools. If I`m going for other places for example a shopping center, I`m obviously not going for vacancies but just for simple commercials.
    And indeed, calling up is probably the best idea. I might just do that! Can`t blame a guy for trying right
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    say you contact the principal regarding this proposition, why would the school be interested in you coming in to project some company commercials to the kids?  am i missing the point?
  • Options
    Well, the schools get to advertise their students to companies which improves the status of the school. Plus I`ll pay them a fee or something I guess
  • Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m wondering about laws involved regarding commercial advertising in public schools. Seems to me there was something in the news a few years back about commercials broadcast over the school`s intercom system
    Good question, but I have heard stories that a lot of schools are hiring outside companies (ie McDonalds) to have a store/restaurant in their cafeterias. Schools will often do this because they need the extra money for budgets. If they can do this, than I am sure that commercial advertising isn`t a problem. There is a possibility that recent law has changed this, bt I`m not postive.