WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

SMS Marketing (Text Messages)

rajinenterprisesrajinenterprises subscriber Posts: 3
edited January 2008 in Marketing
Hello,

I`m looking into starting a marketing business selling SMS Messages as a marketing tool. I was wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with this type of marketing tool, any thoughts on it, suggestions, etc... Would your company utilize this type of tool? Is this a viable asset in the U.S? If affordable and marketed correctly, do you think other companies would be interested?

I`ve been to Europe and Asia; realizing in both markets this is huge.  I haven`t seen or heard about it here and wanted some opinions. Please let me know what you think about this type of advertising. Thanks!
jamie

Comments

• rajinenterprisesrajinenterprises subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks Steve. I can see where there would be some resistance.
    All,

Thank you very much for your thoughts, concerns, and inputs. Each of you have brought good, insightful thoughts and concerns. I must clarify one thing though, it is against the law to text spam and the company I`m looking into becoming an affiliate with does not condone that type of marketing. What they insist on is opt-in/opt-out marketing through various means. In order to get these messages, a customer would add themselves to the list by text messaging a "keyword" to a certain number. I hope that eases some of your warranted concerns.

From what I read, this type of service could be utlized by various groups/organizations. Here`s a quick list:

All Stores (Grocery, Department, Shoe, Clothing, etc.)
    Restaurants (all types)
    Bakeries/Coffee Shops
    Bars/Night Clubs
    Health/Sports Clubs
    Video Rental Stores

Schools, organizations

Online businesses

MLMs, etc.

If utilized correctly, these companies could send daily/weekly/monthly reminders and/or coupons to draw these people back in. Schools could send updates. Libraries could send overdue book reminders. Doctors could send appointment reminders. Clubs could send Happy Hour notices. Etc...

Just alittle more insight to what I`ve been reading up on. As for as my part, I`d just be selling this opportunity. Sounds like I`m talking myself into it. Hahaha

With this additional information, does this change or alter your views on this?

Jamie 

Craig,

As for as I can see, it is more like a subscription, opt-in type thing. As for me, I`d make money selling this service. The companies purchasing this service could make money various ways or not at all, but just provide the ease of information flowing to their customers.

They could provide weekly coupons via the text message. Advertise certain specials. Ultimately, your are staying in contact with your customers and providing them with up-to-date information. Other organizations could use it not for profit, but for alerts or reminders.

Thanks again for your insight and input.

jamie 
  • RebeckaRebecka subscriber Posts: 0
    I HATE RECEIVING ADVERTISEMENTS ON MY CELL PHONE!
    Rebecka,

Thanks for the thoughful insight. Hahaha! I understand your frustration, but what I`m looking into would not be unrequested/spam type advertisements. This would be opt-in type messaging with up-to-date information, coupons, reminders, etc...

Just to day I was thinking this service might be good for schools. Parents wanting quick information about changes could opt-in. The school could utilize this service to inform parents of reporting delays, school closures, school emergencies, etc.

Just food for thought.

Thanks again!
    jamie
  • proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1

Everything`s going mobile and fast. I see no problem with SMS ads following us where we want them to go and of course, opt-in/opt-out is the only acceptable means.

I`ll give an example of a killer app already implemented in the restaurant industry: Maggiano`s Little Italy with locations nationwide gives email subscribers the opportunity to receive SMS messages as shown below (copied from their sign-up page)...

Mobile Phone Number:(We may send you special offers
    via text message. Standard text
    messaging rates will apply.) They make clear that offers may be presented via text and the charges that apply. Now if I were in charge of releasing these SMS ads, I`d send special offers between Monday and Thursday when folks don`t normally dine out. It`s a win-win because a certain percentage of people are motivated by half-price lasagna on a Tuesday night and, at the same time the restaurant is optimizing slower revenue periods while likely minimizing promotional costs.  
    proactive112/28/2007 1:13 PM
  • catmancatman subscriber Posts: 0
    The concerns regarding text messaging, as well as the prospective applications for uisng sms as a marketing vehicle are right on target.

However, it`s most important to note that the carrier industry has adopted common standards, ex: the using of common short codes, through which to monitor those companies using text mesaging for advertisng/marketing and other types of notificaitons. In short, recipients MUST opt in to receive the messages and each message MUST include an opt out opportunity.

Mobile marketing and communicaiton is a fantastic tool as long as the content is requested (opt in) relevant, and compelling.
    catman1/7/2008 9:28 AM
  • tracecaptracecap subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,
    My company offers Business <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.tracecorponline.com">Consulting Services </a> and our marketing division offers SMS Marketing Services. I must say that my sentiments go out to those who have negative thoughts on this new marketing tool. I need to clarify some things however. New tools require new rules. and where mobile advertising is concerned, PERMISSION is the rule. So in order to get offers, the customer must give permission. That`s where the consumer needs to be educated to read the fine print on any type of offer or raffle to win something before they fill it out. What`s sad is back in the 90`s, they used to use the same tactic to SLAM the consumer by illegaly switching the home number. Now folks instead of putting their home number, they are filling these forms out using their mobile number. Last month Walmart announced the use of SMS capabilities for customers and Papa John`s Pizza also imploys SMS coupons for registered customers. As to how we can make money? Let`s look at American Idol. They gave viewers the option to text in their votes for their favorite singer at $1.50 to be billed to the viewers mobile phone. Multiply a dollar times a million viewers. And with over 200 million mobile phone users in the U.S. alone, anyone who has the right technology in place has the opportunity. Everyone laughed when cable TV came out, I mean who would pay for TV right?
    Thanks for the informative post. I`m convinced now that this is the right marketing avenue for me to jump into. I`ve had discussions with a gentleman that has been doing SMS Marketing for the past few months and it`s growing significantly. I`ve partnered with him and he`s showing me the ropes. He`s at http://www.textserv.net
    In his experience, real estate brokers and car dealerships are the most advantageous clients to go after. It seems they get the most use in this type of marketing/lead generation tool. Not to say others don`t or won`t.

Thanks again for validating my thoughts.