WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Greeting cards...how to get them out there...? Help !

lasourielasourie subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2007 in Sales
 I have a great collection of my photos, made in greeting cards very similar to any folded card we buy in all stores for whatever occasions...
 All my cards are hand signed as of now...( I realize that if it`s getting out of hands...no punt intended !...I might not be able to sign thousands...but so far I don`t have that problem yet )
I have flowers,swans,butterflies,sunsets,vineyards,grapes...just to mention some,
...how do I get them out there ?

Comments

• CAllisonCAllison subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello,I currently work at a small retail shop, and photographers regularly come in and ask to speak with us about beautiful photo cards they`ve made of our local surroundings.  Folks literally just walk up to the register and ask to speak to the buyer, which is fine with us.  Granted, I work next door to a popular tourist attraction known for its beauty, so we unfortunately get more solicitations than we can sell in our particular shop!  But this may be a way for you to get the foot in the door at some of your local establishments - if nothing else, having a local shop or two sell your cards is a great marketing tool to help you get into larger markets.  Some of the photographers who stop by with cards are very organized, and some less so; as a buyer who`s made these decisions, here are my suggestions:    1. Always have samples with you, and have a few extras to leave behind and sacrifice to the cause.  As complete a sample you can provide, the better: photocopies aren`t as helpful, we also want to feel the card`s texture and paper quality, see how well its constructed, and see what`s on the back of the card.  As a buyer, it`s helpful to have samples for reference and to show to my colleagues who contribute to buying decisions.    2. Have a sheet ready to go with your contact info, basic product info, and wholesale prices.   Do not offer to fax info to us later "if you like the cards" -- that`s too much effort.  Buying is often as impulsive for retailers as it is for mall shoppers - if we decide after you`ve left that we like the cards, make it as easy as possible for us to contact you and place an order.    3. Let hesitant retailers know that you`re not afraid of consigning cards in order to get your foot in the door.  Offer to consign a few cards to see if they sell.  If your cards are as good as you say they are, they`ll sell, and the shop will be calling you up to order more.  =) I hope this helps, good luck!!!~CAllison
  • center56center56 subscriber Posts: 1
    hi,
    I`m a new greeting card company. I was reading everyone`s replies. I have several questions: how do I find reputable printers in my area and/ or around the country that print professional quality greeting cards and provide excellent customer service. 2) Is it better to build your own website or hire a professional? Is building your own website comparable (in terms of a professional appearance) to what professionals can do? LAST QUESTION I PROMISE: Does anyone know an excellent T-shirt company that produces excellent T-shirts?

I have done a lot of reading. There are so many OPTIONS, but I don`t know how to decide what is the right choice? Even with the reading I do, it still feels like hit or miss.
  • foodietwoshoesfoodietwoshoes subscriber Posts: 3
    Center56 - Do you want to buy shirts in bulk and have them printed for you and you ship them out, or do you want a print on demand type store? If you are wanting to buy shirts and print them, I`d start by looking in the phone book at your local options. I always support local and small business when I can, and they usually have much better, more personal customer service and more willing to give `tips`.
    For greeting card printing, you can look in to local specialty printers in your area. Not Kinkos style, but specialty printing houses.
    Like you said, you do have a lot of options. For online companies, many of them supply samples. I`d get samples, and make a list of pricing and then compare them to find the one that most closely fits your criteria.
    As for building a website, if you don`t know how to do it, definitely hire somebody. You have to look professional if you want people to take you seriously. Your sales will show it!
    My husband has shirts at CafePress and Zazzle. Zazzle does a much better job on black shirts. Cafepress just prints it on, and it fades off on black, but Zazzle puts a white layer on first, so it`s nice and bright. However, he sells a lot more on Cafepress by picking up browsers there.