WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need a little help with Search Engine Optimization

JamesHoganJamesHogan subscriber Posts: 4
i just launched my website www.shopcorrect.com
and i need a little help with the marketing aspects of my website. Well
what we sell basiclly is a large range of products we`re not just
focused on one market we`re trying to touch bases with all markets. I
need help on how to optimize my website what do i need, what content do
i need to add to make it more search friendly in search engines . Right
now the only traffic ive been getting is threw forums and also threw
froogle, its been effective so far 800 hits and my website been up
since dec 14th but the conversion rate is real low. So what should i do
what steps do i need to take?? Also what is some other marketing
options i can take ive been doing offline marketing such as advertising
on digital billboards and fliers and also door to door sales. I need
more online options so please help with that also thank you

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    James, Craig gave you some excellent advice, which I agree with.

Writing articles is my preferred method of marketing. Writing articles not only allows you to provide valuable information while promoting your business at the same time, it also has built-in SEO benefits as well. For example:

Articles are viral. If you write articles and allow them to be freely published, your articles become viral, meaning your articles can actually spread like a virus and have the potential to be viewed by tens of thousands of Internet users. And because search engines love content, if your articles are good and interesting,  you can expect to get linked to by many high-profile websites, thereby increasing your PR (Page Rank) and traffic as well.

There`s also another important by-product of article marketing: Credibility. Writing articles is the quickest way to establish credibility online. If you write good, quality content, not only will your articles get published regularly, but they will also brand you as an expert in your field, which will instantly enhance your reputation and bottom line tremendously. Don`t know how to write? No problem. Hire an affordable ghostwriter over at http://elance.com.

In addition to article marketing, forum posting has been very productive for me. Other effective online advertising options include pay-per-click and ezine advertising.

Dale King

DKing12/24/2007 10:09 AM
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Your site uses an ecommerce program that already changes the web page title based upon the catalog or product viewed.  This is good... it means a search on a specific category or product can appear in search results.

I would however, recommend if possible to change the way the title is constructed so that the category or porduct name appears before the website name. Check with your web site developer to see if this is possible with the ecommerce program you are using.

Another thing to check on is if the ecommerce program can product real word links like "shopcorrect.com/store/camcorders" rather than "www.shopcorrect.com/store/home.php?cat=14" this can help with the indexing of your whole ecommerce catalog.

And last...but not least, you should have a link to your sitemap from at least your home page.
    Again, something to help your whole site get indexed.

~Roland

• sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I concur with Dale. Although SEO-rich content can help, it doesn`t
    really get to the main point. "SEO-rich" means that you try to include
    key phrases within the larger context of an article, discussion, or
    other written material. It`s still a gimmick, though.[/quote]

For example, an SEO article about signal flags would have to repeat a
    particular key phrase maybe 10 times in 300 words. The simple
    repetition gets old, and being only 300 words, there`s not much room
    for interesting things to happen.
    These are incorrect statements.  An Article can have SEO rich content and still be clear, relative and valid.  It`s not a gimmick.  It`s a creative talent that takes practice to master.sddreamweavers1/10/2008 7:25 PM
    I`m not saying 1 article can`t be clear, concise, and also filled with
    SEO content. I`m saying that a site like this offers MANY opportunities
    for SEO articles, and that it`s better for each page to focus on a
    particular "set" of key phrases. That way, the overall site picks up a
    huge possible field of search queries.
    To try and do ALL of that in one, single, three-hundred word article
    for an entire site, is way too much mental effort, in my opinion.

It may be too much mental effort but that`s the difference between a site that will be at the top the heap or a site that will be at the bottom of the heap.

I`ve got to second Craig`s comments on focusing on specific products rather trying to sell everything to everyone.
    I`ve recommended to clients with similar sites to first focus on the products they believe will be most beneficial for the business.  That may be the products with the highest profit margin or the `hot` products that will be the most popular and bring the most traffic.  Depends on your business goals.  

That`s all well and good but if there is high competition for the given product in the search engines you`re wasting your time.
  • marketraisemarketraise subscriber Posts: 2
    Am providing you with some guidelines.Just go through them and implement them as mentioned.
    1)Tell Your Associates:There is no need to reach the unknown millions of people out there surfing the Internet,instead it would be wise if we contact our friends and associates.Look at your e-mail address book and get the word out, tell your business contacts, friends, relatives and tel them to tell their friends too. Channelise them in a proper way.
    2)Link to Your Own Site:If you already have one website, make sure that this site is linking to your new site. A website without any incoming links to it will have a very low page ranking in the all-important Google search engine and will face an uphill battle to be seen in Google search results, especially if you are in a very competitive category.Even when your site is in the construction stage you, or even your web designer can link to the new site from another already well-established site, mentioning that the new site is under construction. If you already have several sites, then link them to your infant site. It will help the new site to be seen in competitive search engine listings even in its debut period.
    3)Get a paid inclusion in one of the big search engines:It takes 4-6 weeks to get listed in Google, and other search engines are equally slow. However there are a few fairly important search engines that have inexpensive express inclusion programs. If you join these programs, then your site will be listed in 48 hours. Inktomi, which provides results for MSN and 100 other search services, has an inclusion program which  costs $39 for the first URL that you submit, and subsequent ones cost $25. The value of the Inktomi submission is that they revisit your URL every 48 hours and if you make changes on the page you can see the results in the MSN listings very quickly. Thus, you can tweak your pages and see how it affects your position.
    4)Add your site to the Open Web Directory and the major search engines:Quality is more important than quantity when it comes to search engine submission. Forget about the sales hype that tells you to add your URL to 300, 000 search engines. Only a few search engines and directories provide the lion’s share of Internet traffic. If your site is in good shape, no longer under construction, then go to www.dmoz.org. This is the Open Web Directory. Find the category where your site fits, and make a submission. If you are accepted here your site will appear in the many search engines and local directories that use the results from the Open Web Directory. Inclusion in this directory usually takes time but it will help you a lot.  Similarly submit your site to Google, Alta Vista and All The Web, these are the remaining giants where you can submit for free.
    5. Start a reciprocal links campaign – Once you have given yourself a link from your other sites or from your designer’s page, you can go out and ask other complementary sites for links.Always try exchanging links with sites that have a good page rank for it indicates that the site has good hits and is often visited.By having a trackback link chances of your site having hits is enhanced.
    6.Write an article about your product or service – If you have a website the chances are that you are an expert in the field that your site is all about. Write an article about your product or service, or write an article related to the subject matter of your site. Submit the article online to various websites and e-mail lists dealing with your topic. The publication of your article in a big e-zine, or on a popular web site can get your new site off to a roaring start.
    7)Promote Your Site Off-line – Now that you have a site, put the URL brochures, business cards, TV advertising, and circulars.The cafepress.com has a program enabling you to put your URL on these items and even sell them online.
    Last but not the least be unique and be promotionally inclined initially for traffic generation.
    I concur with Dale. Although SEO-rich content can help, it doesn`t
    really get to the main point. "SEO-rich" means that you try to include
    key phrases within the larger context of an article, discussion, or
    other written material. It`s still a gimmick, though.
    An article, on the other hand, is written to build interest,
    excitement, or to provide new information. The article usually can
    stand alone, regardless of whether it`s on your Web site or some other
    location. That, and an article isn`t as constrained as SEO writing.
    For example, an SEO article about signal flags would have to repeat a
    particular key phrase maybe 10 times in 300 words. The simple
    repetition gets old, and being only 300 words, there`s not much room
    for interesting things to happen.
    But a general-interest article on signal flags can develop a plot or
    theme, build an argument, explain a process, explore history, and any
    of a variety of ways to make the article interesting, informative, and
    (most importantly) memorable.
    Given two pathways, articles have a long-term, lasting effect. SEO
    writing gets you visible on a search engine, but that`s all it does.
    You STILL have to develop something interesting after that. So
    article-writing sort of covers two things in one event, where SEO
    writing is only half the solution.

SEO rich content not a gimmick and this is NOT the way that SEO rich content is written.
    5. Start a reciprocal links campaign – Once you have given yourself a link from your other sites or from your designer’s page, you can go out and ask other complementary sites for links.Always try exchanging links with sites that have a good page rank for it indicates that the site has good hits and is often visited.By having a trackback link chances of your site having hits is enhanced.

Do NOT start a recoprocial Link campaign on a link page.  This is the quickest way to get your site dinged negatively by the Google Search engines.  If you want to trade links use Wordpress on your site and expand the link text to over a paragraph.
    One other thing to keep in mind is that you should plan on 9 or more months before Google considers your site a `good one`.  They keep new sites with low rankings low on the listings to counter sites that are gone or not updated within a year.
  • essayhelpessayhelp subscriber Posts: 10
    I think that its almost impossible to make money with google adsense. Unless you are getting loads of quality traffic to your site. Now I say quality traffic because traffic thats visits your site and is there for less then a minute will not click on any ads.

The problem as I see it is that many many people when starting a website will build on making money with google ads with the help of social bookmarketing sites.  Yes those sites can drive crazy traffic to your site but its not quality traffic in most cases.
  • babyjoy214babyjoy214 subscriber Posts: 2
    hi!
    is this topic still watched?
    I`m working for Agents of Value and presently involved in assisting entrepreneurial companies doing business on the Internet.
    if you`re interested, you can check our site Agentsofvalue.com
    hope we can help you!!
    Goodluck!!
    -Joy
  • KingDingalingKingDingaling subscriber Posts: 0
    So James...... Your website is all over ripoffreports.com advising evryone not to use your website. Noone recieves their orders, and the ones that do recieve there purchases get fakes and ripoffs. I know this because Me and several other customers have made contact through email. When you purc hase your item, you receive an email from shopcorrect.com telling you they processed your order, five minutes later a fraud website awoogah.com tells you that they are processing your order. You make sure to charge the credit card and not send the product. Weve contacted the Better Buisness Bourea and several others have alerted internet authoritys. What your doing is an outrage, its only a matter of time before you and your website are shut down. You seem like an honest guy just trying to start a buisness, but theres corruption going on in your website
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Search Engine Optimisation in 2016 is a specialized, scientific and imaginative procedure to enhance the perceivability of a site in web search tools. Its essential capacity is to drive more visits to a site that change over into deals.

1. On location SEO Basics

2. Why You Need Content

3. Off-Site Optimization (otherwise known as Link Building)

4. How Google+ Can Help with Rankings

5. Observing Your Results
  • amanshastry43amanshastry43 subscriber Posts: 63 Bronze Level Member
    First, do all the SEO strategies it will really help you to rank your website in SERP
  • Ravi TrivediRavi Trivedi subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member
    There are a few simple tricks that you can use to make your web design SEO friendly too.
    * Integrate Social Media into your Website's Design.
    * Use SEO for Images Too.
    * Use JavaScript Sparingly.
    * Make sure your URL is User-Friendly.
    * Place Your Keywords in many Different Places.
    * Make sure your Design is Accessible.
    * Be Careful with Flash Elements

13 Ways to Reduce Bounce Rate and Increase Your Conversions
    1. Improve Your Content’s Readability
    2. Avoid Popups – Don’t Disrupt the UX
    3. Create a Compelling Call-to-Action
    4. Improve Your Brand Storytelling
    5. Keep Your Blog Fresh With the Right Content
    6. Target Keywords With High-Value Traffic
    7. Attract the Right Visitors
    8. Write Attractive Meta Descriptions for Search Users
    9. Create Multiple Landing Pages for High-Volume Keywords