WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

SEO Scams: Submit Your Website to Thousands of Search Engines!

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
One of the biggest and longest-running SEO scams out there is the paid search engine submission scam, where unscrupulous companies try to trick you into believing that you need to submit your website`s URL to the search engines in order to get indexed. You`ve seen the ads:

Submit Your Website to Thousands of Search Engines Only $29.95!

Nothing could be further from the truth.
First of all, there aren`t thousands of search engines out there. There are really only five top tier search engines worth submitting to that will actually send you any traffic. And you don`t need to pay anyone to submit your site to them because those search engines will eventually find your site on their own.
However, if you want to submit your site`s URL to those search engines, you can do it yourself. The five search engines are:

1. Google

2. Yahoo

3. MSN Live

4. AOL (Powered by Google)

5. Ask (Powered by Teoma)

By the way, your website will get indexed a lot quicker, if you get inbound links from sites that are already indexed by the search engines.
David Jackson

DavidJackson2/4/2009 11:44 AM

Comments

• Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Yep ... same thing I`ve told people that I`ve worked with in the past on websites .... get a couple of inbound links, and search engines find you quicker than any other method ... and it`s free
  • Options
    Yep ... same thing I`ve told people that I`ve worked with in the past on websites .... get a couple of inbound links, and search engines find you quicker than any other method ... and it`s free

Unfortunately, people keep falling for this garbage.

If my article can prevent just one person from getting ripped-off, it will have done its job.

David Jackson
  • Options
    I wonder how many people fall for this scam only because they really don`t understand why search engines work?

The lure and power of this scam, as with most scams has to do with greed and naivetivity.

People see the ads and immediately start dreaming about all the traffic they`re going to get from those thousands of search engines - as well as all the money which they assume is a by-product of that traffic.

David Jackson

DavidJackson1/29/2009 4:33 PM
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    ... only because they really don`t understand why search engines work?

I think that you meant "how", but "why" seems so much more appropriate.
  • Options
    I believe this whole SEO craziness is founded on a poor understanding of why search engines exist,why people use them, and why they present the results they present.

Craig, the primary reason SEO or any other scams exist is because of greed and naivetivity. Period.

That being said, I`m happy to provide the answers to the "why"aspect of search engines, that you presented above:

1. Question: Why do search engines exist?

Answer: Search engines were created to mine data more efficiently.

2. Question: What does index mean?

Answer: An index is a listing of data  that can be quickly scanned by a search algorithm.

3. Question: What does algorithm mean?

Answer: The methods used by search engines to calculate and process data.

NOTE: This is an extremely narrow definition of algorithm, that I made up expressly for this example.

4. Question: Why do people use search engines?

Answer: Most people use search engines to search for information - not to buy anything.

5. Question: Why do search engines return the results that they do?
    Answer: A search engine is designed to return the most relevant results possible. This is done algorithmically, or by a combination of algorithmic and human input.

David Jackson

DavidJackson1/30/2009 4:52 PM
  • Options
    I`d only modify the "algorithm" and define it as "the way a computer uses logic to come up with answers to questions."

Thanks for the suggestion, but I like my definition better.

David Jackson
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Search engines don`t cost money .... unless you do PPC ads on them .... you need to have a good website, and have the search engines crawl and index them to get traffic from them ....
  • Options
    I have been searching for a search engine that does not cost alot of money.  Does anyone know of any that would bring people to my sites so I can start making the money I want?

Paula, I`m assuming you`re talking about pay-per-click search engines. I`d suggest you check out  PayPerClickSearchEngines.com  where they review both first and second tier ppc search engines.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/31/2009 8:19 PM
  • Options
    profits4idiotsprofits4idiots subscriber Posts: 0

hello again I have been searching for a search engine that does not cost alot of money.  Does anyone know of any that would bring people to my sites so I can start making the money I want?Thanks,Paula Olson

Hmm, you could try improving your site with SEO techniques to get more traffic but not necessarily money. If you mean search engine ads, then you could check out the links given by our generous forum posters here.
  • Options
    louise100louise100 subscriber Posts: 0
    I appreciate this information.  It really clarify a lot about how search engines work.  People can best use their money to help a good cause instead of falling for all of those scams out there.

Thanks,

Thelma Harcum

• Options
    People can best use their money to help a good cause instead of falling for all of those scams out there.
      Nowadays with the economy the way it is, for many people a good cause is themselves. David Jackson
  • Options
    Samrose20Samrose20 subscriber Posts: 0
    Well you are right site promotion can be done by oneself aswell...as such
    there is no need of spending many bucks on these ads..
    Acai Berry
    Colon Cleanse
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    submit to the main three and the rest will pick it up
    google
    yahoo
    msn - BING
    i cannot agree more! good post
  • Options
    ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Website improvement, or SEO, can be confused. It can be an all day work on the off chance that you are wanting to be at the highest point of web index result pages. This is the reason numerous site proprietors are looking outside their own organizations for a little help in the SEO division.
    Expanding natural movement through your SEO endeavors can build deals, leads and your primary concern if done effectively, implying that SEO ought to be a noteworthy concentration in your showcasing procedures.