WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The hottest business opportunities today

Comments

• LaCremaCoffeeLaCremaCoffee subscriber Posts: 3
    Organic and socially responsible products.esp. COFFEE roasting!!!
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin

Rich,Would he be willing to share that template here for all of us?jamie
     initially, he has asked that i be selective in sending people his way. i will send both of you who`ve expressed an interest a private message with the StartupNation messaging system. make sure you visit your profile and go to "settings" and you have message notifications "ON". rich
  • BlackRoninBlackRonin subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi everyone,

The areas I have been considering are;
    Engineering services / Domestic outsourcing: Baby boomers (technical expertise) retiring, looking for part-time work. Engineering graduate numbers dropping... fewer new hires to replace boomers... and large US corporations backing away from overseas outsourcing initiatives.
    NewSpace economy: Sub-contractor to small commercial aerospace companies entering space tourism / government space launch markets.
  • DBeaversDBeavers subscriber Posts: 0
    Jeff (and others),
    for a totally different business idea, you might consider the world of promotional advertising. This is an estimated $19 Billion market in the U.S.
    I started in this industry back in 1984, when the products where know as advertising specialties. In addition to terminology changes, the focus has also changed. Promotional advertising can be used in almost and infinite number of ways, including Recruiting Tools, Safety Reminders and Rewards, Employee Gifts, Trade Show Handouts, Collateral Materials for multi-media campaigns, Door opener on sales calls, Commemorative items for grand opening, company anniversary, and other major corporate event, New product introduction
    The business model has been updated, so I have outsourced all the financial and sales tax burdens to the company I represent, in order to have more time to focus on sales and marketing, both online and off.
    Many of the traditional products are still available, but newer products embrace technology and include LED flashlights, USB memory sticks, MP3 and other portable music devices, music and ringtone download cards, CD/DVD cases, laptop carry bags, and many other items.
    The business can be operated online, off line, or both, as well as full or part-time.
    This industry has been my full-time career for just over 20 years, after gaining experience and building my customer base for 3 years on a part-time basis.
    Dennis
  • SammyPSammyP subscriber Posts: 0
    Dear Kotie.  I am writing to you from Wiseguys business consulants.  We have a client who is interested in the nappy manufacturing business.. He bought a machine from Diverse engineering.  I have heard negative things about the Zauhn.  Did you ever start your business and if so, is it successful and if so, what makes it successful.  How do you advertise.  How many nappies do you make a day.  Are you able to sell the nappies you make.. Any advise will be wonderful.  We are based in Limpopo, so you need not worry about us in the Freestate. 
  • dsprindledsprindle subscriber Posts: 2
    Baby Boomers want lifestyle and health as they move into retirement. Anything that meets this need can do well.
  • 05mustang05mustang subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Rich,

I`m new to the board but don`t mind sharing ideas. If I learned anything it`s that ideas are abundant.  Here`s one of mine:

1.  Online Video Learning - Think Youtube with a purpose.  Up until now Youtube has been nothing more than a fun site to visit for goofy or silly videos. My vision is a similar site with real educational content. You could focus on specific industries or professions - I`m a lawyer so a site that provided forms, videos, podcasts on issues would be very helpful. Same could be done for the healthcare, teaching, realestate or just about any other profession that`s information intensive.

If anyone`s interested in kicking related ideas around, I`m open!!
    05mustang - i think you`re describing something VERY hot indeed. others are waking on this opportunity, too...

this site i find particularly interesting: www.howcast.com

very high quality production of instructional content, mostly serious but also entertaining.
    Thanks. I`ll check it out.

BTW - great podcast. I listened to my first StartupNation podcast on my way to work today. It truly inspired me to start capitalizing on the hundreds of creative business ideas that seem to come out of nowhere for me. Now if I can only focus on one and get it launched! 
    this is great to hear! a new wave of podcasts will soon be released... stay tuned (as they say).

and please do share feedback on howcast. maybe that`s not what you had in mind...
    Howcast is very neat and I think it`s got a lot of potential.  The site is very impressive.  Not quite what I had in mind however.

My idea is to tailor video/audio content for the professional that`s looking for real meaty content and is willing to pay for it.  Example, a lawyer out in the country needs to draft and negotiate an agreement in an area that`s new to him.  That lawyer can log onto a website and download sample agreements and view a video or listen to a podcast by an expert in the area.  The subject matter expert gets paid a royalty everytime their content is viewed and may get referral business as well.  Site operator - I.e. me gets the viewing/subscription fee.  You would obviously have to screen content authors somehow to make sure the quality and expertise is there.

I would be interested in hearing your take on this idea.  What challenges/obstacles do you see?

paula,

picking up on your comments about locavore, we did this Key Move feature on a restaurant called Trattoria Stella that has really embraced the local food movement. as a customer of theirs, it feels really good knowing which farm/farmer was the source of the ingredients on your plate. the owners put the actual farm/farmer names at the top of their menu. highly recommend this restaurant, by the way, in traverse city michigan....
  • pressdocebopressdocebo subscriber Posts: 0

Rich, I`m new to the board but don`t mind sharing ideas. If I learned anything it`s that ideas are abundant.  Here`s one of mine: 1.  Online Video Learning - Think Youtube with a purpose.  Up until now Youtube has been nothing more than a fun site to visit for goofy or silly videos. My vision is a similar site with real educational content. You could focus on specific industries or professions - I`m a lawyer so a site that provided forms, videos, podcasts on issues would be very helpful. Same could be done for the healthcare, teaching, realestate or just about any other profession that`s information intensive.  If anyone`s interested in kicking related ideas around, I`m open!!

You can easily do it by using an e-learning free platform as Docebo (www.docebo.org)
  • lachattelachatte subscriber Posts: 0
    Talking about videos.....I am into a networking business called Talkfusion. anybody heard about this New one?    
    I really like their product which I used to promote my 2 other network companies which are Gano Coffee and NuSkin.  The system is a video-email and it will tell you  right away when people are watching your video (which is a good time to call them). I still want my own business... I am  thinking about being a REBOUNDOLOGIST and go work in different places.  It is especially a great market with the old people because it is very easy on the joints.
    lachatte2/12/2008 4:04 PM
  • PicFusionPicFusion subscriber Posts: 0
    ddddPicFusion1/13/2009 9:07 PM