WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Anybody here know anything about building materials?

st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
edited August 2008 in Business Planning
For the last four months I`ve been in the process of starting a building supply company. I have a truck that`s fully decaled, a website, accounting systems, one pallet of laminate flooring in self-storage, and a few thousand dollars.
I plan on getting some more flooring, some stone and some decking and selling it to contractor and landscaping companies. I plan on offering quantity discounts and on-site sample showings as value added services. However, this is a very competitive market and I would love it if someone in the industry could offer me some advice. How do I get clients? How should I approach them? How can I meet my bottom line?

Comments

• Options
    posylaneposylane subscriber Posts: 1
    I am not in the industry but I might be able to ask a few questions.  Do you know how much you will be able to save your customers over what they are paying now?  Or are you able to offer better services?  Can you articulate these benifits to customers?

Once the answer is yes, then I`d start with thinking about who and where your customers are.  Cold calls, emails, mailings, ect.  Maybe a booth at a trade show?