WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

College student learning

Lumberjack27Lumberjack27 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in Business Planning
I`m just a sophomore in college, studying architecture, but I`ve been working towards getting a business plan put together and I`m contacting local commercial property owners....
any advice for the young one?
thahnks

Comments

• Lumberjack27Lumberjack27 subscriber Posts: 1
    I want to provide different services for the university and the local population
    I was thinking along the lines of a internet/gaming cafe that is linked to a sort of lounge/pool hall/hookah bar
  • LiveWiseLiveWise subscriber Posts: 5
    One thing I did during my college years was to volunteer and get mentored by the professionals I chose in the field I wanted to work.  This was valuable to steer me in the right direction.  The mentoring by the right people was priceless. 

My recommendation would be to choose and area that you would like to work and call up the very best business person in that field and ask if you could volunteer and see if that field is what you want to spend the rest of your life doing.  Most people will let you be involved to a certain degree and most people will take some time to answer questions.  But there are some that won`t and don`t get offended--these are people you probably don`t want to learn from anyway. 
  • Lumberjack27Lumberjack27 subscriber Posts: 1
    I`ve wanted to get my architecture degree since i was a little kid, so i`m atleast going to get the bachelors in Arch... as for my masters, i was thinking entrepreneurship or finance.. not sure yet.
    I may ask my dad for some assistance along the way, since he`s started multiple businesses, but i thought that this would be a good experience for me.

I`m still trying to get all the ideas onto paper, even if its just scribbles. I have several close friends to talk to about it, but I thought it couldn`t hurt to contact more people about this.