WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

IT Strategy Hook

PJPJ subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2006 in Marketing
I am writing a book series on IT Strategy targeted at Small Business owners.  What catch phrases (plus corresponding book content) do you feel would entice a tech-averse small business owner to buy a book on IT Strategy?

Comments

• admanadman subscriber Posts: 3
    Well having worked for small and medium sized business owners for years, there are really only two things that will engage them at their core.

1.  Increasing Top Line Revenue (Making Money)
    2. Decreasing Expenses (Saving Money)

So it would make sense to address your book to one of these needs as it related to IT Strategy.

• JeffersonJefferson subscriber Posts: 0
    Dispel the myth that IT is only for big companies to worry about.  The ads we see in magazines and TV are for huge network servers, partnerships with big companies (like Sun, IBM, etc.), 24/7 e-commerce, and the like.  Even the small guy needs to be concerned with:

Data backups
    How to store or organize customer data
    Whether to go PC, Apple, Linux, other
    "SoHo" networking (Internet, routers, firewalls, multiple PCs, printers, etc.)
    Go with economical DSL/Cable modem, or invest in larger bandwidth like T1 or more?
    What I can do myself vs. what I should let a professional (consultant or company) do for me
    Setting up a system that`s scaleable so I won`t outgrow too soon, yet won`t shell out money for more than I need
    Where the industry is headed for the small business person and what issues are likely to crop up in a year or two
    How much or what kind of security do I need?  Is antivirus and a software firewall sufficient?
    Do I need and how can I set up a toll-free 800 number?  900 pay number?  Multiple phone lines?  Fax/Internet lines?
    What kind of special telepone or telecom equipment might I have use for?  Do I want/need interactive voice response (IVR) -- if so, how would I set that up?
    Are there any considerations I need to worry about in being an online business vs. having a shop or office?
    Should I host my website myself, or should I hire a company to design/host/maintain my website?  Do I even need a website?
    How do I get a "dot com" address?
    Good luck on the book!
    Jeff
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Jefferson,That was great. That list can be used for any business and by targeting the questions to other demands, it could be used for any industry. I loved your list of pit falls.
  • PJPJ subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow!  A lot of great suggestions!  I appreciate the quick response to the forum newbee!
    The book will be going to the printer at the end of this month, as such, I don`t know how many of the content suggestions I will be able to incorporate in time, but I will do my best.  I am currently in the midst of incorporating final edits and refining the marketing message.  My current list of catch phrases for the back cover is:

"How can computers help a professional services firm run more efficiently?" (Not sure if this addresses the revenue/expense suggestion effectively)
    "What is the business case for investing in Information Technology?"
    "What are the right questions when considering Information Technology solutions for my company?"
    "How would I go about deploying Information Technology for my business?"
    Do you believe that these phrases would help to compel a small business owner to purchase the book?
    FYI...The book should be available for distribution at the end of August.  I hope that it will satisfy the majority of your expectations!
  • admanadman subscriber Posts: 3
    how about
    "Save Money by reducing non-billable hours through computer technology"
  • EricEric subscriber Posts: 8

How can computers help a professional services firm run more efficiently?" (Not sure if this addresses the revenue/expense suggestion effectively)
    "What is the business case for investing in Information Technology?"
    "What are the right questions when considering Information Technology solutions for my company?"
    "How would I go about deploying Information Technology for my business?"
    Do you believe that these phrases would help to compel a small business owner to purchase the book?

PJ,
    If I`m being honest, I don`t feel motivated by a list of complex questions. I want answers. Questions I have plenty of.  I think you`d be better served by highlighting and bullet pointing what you will learn when you buy this book and what sets your book apart from the 200 other books on the shelf. I also think you should go out of your way to word things in a simple yet exciting manner. (This is your one chance to get the attention of the consumer)
    READ THIS BOOK TO:

Take the mystery out of IT
    Save huge amounts of time (a.k.a money) by simply having your computer do what it was designed to do.
    Finally understand what exactly IT is and everything you`ll need to know about using Information Technology in your business
    Customize an IT solution that fits seamlessly into your operations.
    Learn how to put it all together to make your business run more efficiently than it ever has before.
    Not that this is what you would use at all, but the point is that you need a little showmanship, a  little "step right up and see the wonders of what I`m about to show you"  People mostly want something exceptional and you must pitch it that way or most people will pass you by even if they could benefit from your book. 
    Best of luck. Making it in the book biz must be rough.
    ~Eric

Thank you again for all of the excellent suggestions!
    There seems to be a consistent theme around statements with flare rather than questions.  My engineering mindset definitely needs an injection of showmanship for the book.  I hope that the material between the cover does better than the cover quotes.
    The high-level table of contents for the book is:

Introduction (introduce reader to key concepts of information, technology, and roadmap)
    Step 1:  What do you do? (SWOT analysis)
    Step 2: How do you do it? (Process models and structures)
    Step 3:  Where is your business performance today? (Process cost modeling)
    Step 4:  Where would you like your performance to be? (Value stream analysis)
    Step 5:  How are you going to get there? (IT strategy and project management)
    Review
    Appendices (Solution profiles, glossary, small business resources, etc.)
    Please let me know if you have any issues capturing some of your suggestions verbatim.  If you provide me with your full name, I would be happy to mention you in the acknowledgements
    Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or know of any professional service organizations that might be interested in providing an endorsement.
  • BizAtTheBeachBizAtTheBeach subscriber Posts: 0
    PJ,
    I agree with Eric.  If you are trying to attract "tech-averse small business owners", you need to stop talking like an IT guy.  You need to state what your book will help them with in laymen terms, since your audience is not comfortable with technology and that includes the terminology.  Jeff above also makes some great suggestions.  Good luck to you.
    Kevin
    Thank you everyone for your insights!
    I`ll do my best to stop talking like an IT guy