WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do you deal with Paranoia and fear during new startups?

PeterBPeterB subscriber Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in Thought Leadership
Hi guys. Im still really new to entrepreneurship and I get paranoid and fearful when starting a new venture. I think people are talking about me behind my back saying things like "Who does he think he is starting a business" or "What does he know".  I get shy and it seems like Im scared of sucess at times. Ive gotten alot better at this and it used to be worse but the paranoia is still there at times. Especially when someone asks me a question about the business. I get extremely modest.

Is this normal?
How have some of you dealt with this sort of thing? Just rough it out, keep the faith and eventually it will go away?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Great Advice Craig! Don`t worry about what you think other`s are thinking. Does it really make a difference? Do what YOU want to do and do your best. That will be what matters. There will always be people talking about you or about someone else. Usually this is actually about the faults they have inside themselves, so don`t worry about it and leave them to worry about themselves.

Erin
  • PeterBPeterB subscriber Posts: 6
    Wow thank you guys. CraigL you are exactly right in all your assumptions. I did go through the modern US education system. I am 24 yrs old. My role models growing up where of course my mother, father and immediate family. Almost everyone one of them is and has been poor their whole life and never really took it upon themselves to do anything on their own or out of the ordinary. I think that has helped in a way because it showed me what I didnt want my life to be like.
    Thanks for the book recommendation. I`ll have to check it out.

PeterB6/2/2008 7:58 AM
  • bizlady08bizlady08 subscriber Posts: 1
    Based on your response to Craig, I would HIGHLY recommend that you read Retire Young, Retire Rich by Robert Kiyosaki (of Rich Dad Poor Dad fame). That book changed my life. I had a major paradigm shift about my attitudes toward wealth and money in general.

Although Atlas Shrugged is a very thought-provoking book, it`s really long (I think the paperback is more than 500 pages).

Fear is a pretty normal human emotion. It`s what we do about it that makes the difference. One of my favorite quotes these days is from Paul Martinelli, co-founder of LifeSuccess coaching: "Do it afraid." In other words, it`s OK to be afraid--just do it anyways. Taking action is one of the best antidotes to fear that I know of!

Good luck! And now it`s time for me to take my own advice (see When we are accountable only to ourselves thread).
  • OzzleyOzzley subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, this is my first post.
    I`ve finally made the time to pursue an idea I`ve had for awhile now. I
    created a website in 2004 and in most search engines the page comes up
    in the first or second position. My concern is the domain name is very
    close to a SNL skit done in the 70`s and I think a well know
    personality owns the original property now.
    My questions is how should I proceed in finding out if I can continue
    using the domain name before the ugly shows up. It`s been 4 years since
    I purchased the domain name and nothing has happened yet....but that
    doesn`t really mean much.
    I have planned on making a sizable investment in taking the site to the
    next level. Who can you trust to research this issue and what
    guarantees do you have that the info you`ve paid for is really the
    truth?