WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Inspirational Startup Success Story

keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
edited January 2013 in Inspiration and Motivation
This story is on the front page of today`s Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper:
Teenager sits atop office chair empire 44156ac535bb50410024.html
If a 14-year old teenager, in the 9th grade can do it, so can you. Now 19, attending Emory University in Atlanta, he and his dad run this $15 million dollar operation with 40 employees. They sell office chairs. www.bizchair.com</A> 
If you have trouble with the above link (I hope not), just go to www.ajc.com</A> and find today`s edition or search the title.
R@keycon2006-4-28 16:39:49

Comments

• Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
    This is awesome, although he obviously doesn`t/didn`t have the same responsibilities (families, mortgage, etc.) as some of the adults on this site!  Thanks for sharing!  His story could surely inspire many young people.  A great article!
  • coffeenetscoffeenets subscriber Posts: 0
    Great story!When I was a bit younger than I am today, I had a business that I was running (at the time I just thought I was making a couple of bucks...but looking back, it was a business).  Unfortunately some adults decided to get involved and told me I couldn`t do what I was doing without...blah blah blah...permits.  Anyway, these days I`m always so nervous about starting my new business ventures because I`m worried that I`ll miss some legal aspect and that will come back and bite me in the butt later.
  • DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3

here I go trying to make a point and being PC.
    I was quite surprised with the comment about not having financial responsibilities.  Sort of implying that If We didn`t have a mortgage payment we could of easily done the same thing.  followed up by  being an inspiration for young people.
    Sorry that is how I read it
    Different ages can give different motivations to be an entrepreneur.  A teenager can see the rat race that adults around them face and want to pre-empt that happening to them.  College used to be the way out of a dead-end job.  Unfortunately, that`s no longer a guarantee. 
    On the other hand, someone in their 50`s may finally have the experience, contacts, and retirement income to quickly and efficiently start an independent startup.  While the urge to not have a boss is good to start with, entrepreneurs wind up having to answer to customers, partners, and regulators anyway.  Much like any job, the best motivation is not just loving what you do but being confident that you can make an innovation that no one else can.
  • philstonephilstone subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks for sharing this inspirational start up success story. I found it really helpful as well as informative. Keep sharing more such inspirational stories.
  • pricemanpriceman subscriber Posts: 0
    My business partner and I started our medical supply business, Rehabmart.com, when we were in our late 20's. I was married, in our first house, with our first child. He, at the time, was still single and childless.
    Now he has 5 children, and we often remember those days when I was tired and cranky, and he wanted to work all night on the web site.
    So I would agree that being young (and therefore with fewer responsibilities) can help make starting a business easier. However, you do whatever you can with what you have in life.
    I am still inspired by the BizChair story. I'm sure that young guy worked his bottom off, and will continue to do so.